1 or 2 12" subs under $300

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to start to get into spl comps. I want something that actually sounds decent and will porbably port at 35hz. Plans are to put it into an 01 Malibu. The seats do fold down but I'm not sur eif i want to seal off the trunk or not yet (i will be taking people around now and then and dont wnt to hve the subs muffled by the back of the seats). I'm trying to get something in street a or street b...so 1 or 2 12's, or possibly 2-3 10's (although I prefer a sub that can go really low). I know I can get the kicker L5 12s cheap...but is there a better speaker out there around the same price that would be louder/sound better? I'm looking at running an Infinity 1211a (1300 rms at 2 ohms) because I know someone who can get me a great deal on them, plus all my experiences with the Infinity amps are great. Thanks for the help.

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
I have a friend who can get me 2 12" L5s for around $300 (works at a local shop). Is there something out there that would be louder or at loud with better sq for the same price? I have heard these older lightning adio X1 subwoofers and those were sick loud. Any suggestions? Oh and to Tyler...the new VMAXs look pretty cool. Do you think they could take an L5 though...?

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 87
i would take 2 12" alpine type Rs over 2 12" L5s.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 593
I think the new Vmax's probably could get close to as loud as L5, and sound better. L5's are only pricey because Kicker thinks in their own heads that they are great.

Type-R's would be a good choice as well, but are they SPL oriented? I know the Vmax's aren't for SPL.

Solobarics tend to be oriented towards SPL, but with high failure rates, so it might not be the best choice. Check RE for some good sounding loud subs. www.reaudio.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us