Alpine Type R Rules - Apparently !!!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1369
Isn't amazing that all of a sudden since around October started that there's daily a TON of ppl posting/asking about Alpine Type R (mostly about the 12" model) !?

I thought i was tired of seeing RE ,RE ,RE ,RE & RE being posted daily but it seem that Alpine is the new Heavy Weight Of The Car-Audio Scene .

U know whats even more coincidental is that this new fad began just when i personally had it in mind 2 wks ago to get myself a pair ! ...lol... Upload

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 702
they do.. there an awesome all around sub.. decent spl /sq and price.. how can u lose?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 551
You can lose by not buying Vmax's :-)! Cerwin Vega being a better company/product than Alpine that is IMO.

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
That is quite a coincindence. I looking at a nother forum from a link in a discussion I found in this one and this guy claims he hit 148.9 witha single 10" r type in a standard cab s10. Granted it was in the kick panel and not on the dash. But he metered the RE subs and apparantly they're just not as loud. Here's a copy of the link: http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=53780
I read all four pages and increasingly am becoming interested with keeping the single r-type I have now. I'm looking for that nice SQL that doesn't really exist but I need to rebuild my box. Any suggestions? I got the room for however big of a box may be necessary, but I've heard that the r-type will hit higher numbers in smalle ported boxes. I like low bass as well so I'm thinking like 35 hz-ish for porting.

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
That is quite a coincindence. I looking at a nother forum from a link in a discussion I found in this one and this guy claims he hit 148.9 witha single 10" r type in a standard cab s10. Granted it was in the kick panel and not on the dash. But he metered the RE subs and apparantly they're just not as loud. Here's a copy of the link: http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=53780
I read all four pages and increasingly am becoming interested with keeping the single r-type I have now. I'm looking for that nice SQL that doesn't really exist but I need to rebuild my box. Any suggestions? I got the room for however big of a box may be necessary, but I've heard that the r-type will hit higher numbers in smalle ported boxes. I like low bass as well so I'm thinking like 35 hz-ish for porting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
I have a feeling, that's a lie. ESPECIALLY a 10" SQL woofer. Not SPL, SQL. And RE subs not being as loud? BS. Just plain BS.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3233
Thats the way it is on this forum.
It all comes in cycles... it will be the Type R, then the x.x.x, then all CVR's...
They are a good sub though.:-) lol

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
LOL. Thanks. I have heard the CVR-s at Circuit City and I'm not really impressed, especially seeing that they have a single 12" L5 hooked up and it kills the 2 12" CVRs. I know Alpines are great, I just wonder which would be the best for my buck...

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
*Coughs up a furball this time* VMAX'S!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3238
The reason the L5 kills the CVR's, is because its ment too.
The L5 is strictly an spl woofer, and the CVR's aren't.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1372
I guess whenever the triple xxx DOES comes out that'll be all we gonna hearing about until the rest of the yr - lol

Hmmmm - idk how a 400wrms vmax could out perform a 500wrms type R though ... if somebody who has used both , please respond .........

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
Good question. Tyler is apparantly in love with the VMAXs...maybe he slept with a few of em? I duno but I am curious as to why he thinks they are so amazing. I've seen a few up close and didn't think much of em. Oh yeah, if the VMAXs are so great what about the new Strokers Cerwin is about to release?

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
Cerwin Vega in home audio, was and still is to a reasonable point (excluding rediculous comparisons like Klipsch Horns) is known as the "Loud Speaker King". RMS ratings REALLY don't determine how loud a woofer will get. Other things like motor strength and all that hooblah I don't want to get into factor in.

Cerwin Vega is modest with their ratings too, IMO. A 400W MAX (about 250W RMS) home audio speakers of their with 15" drivers can achieve 134dB of peak bass ratings at 6 meters away. So just imagine if they were rated like car audio, at about a meter or so away!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3241
Yeah, its either going to be RE's new stuff, or Ascendant Audio's new subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
The Strokers that Cerwin DID realease you mean! The new "Stroker" is supposed to equal that of the OLD Stroker. The new "Stroker Pro" is based on the same tech/design as the old Stroker with new enhancements.

I read on here once in a post that someone wrote "A Cerwin Vega Stroker (old model) in the right enclosure, could split the earth". I got a chuckle out of this, and went on with life lol, but I wouldn't doubt it.

You can't compare apples to oranges either. Vmax's aren't SPL woofers. Stroker/Stroker Pro's are. One is meant for wattage peaking/burping into 5 digit marks. The other is meant as a daily driver for loud good sounding bass, but not for dB ratings of 150+.

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
No...I didn't sleep with one either. But you know how guys and girls buy each other things on their anniversaries for dating and such? A girl had flowers delivered to our class a few days ago by her b/f. It was nice, but I said out loud that if it were me, I'd rather have a Cerwin Vega V-15F dropped on my desk as a sign of commitment...I got some strange looks and laughs to say the least. Flowers die, speakers are forever (if taken care of).

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
HAHA. Nice. I agree...although I would porbably ask for something like a few Brahmas...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4070
The v-max is 600 rms not 400rms and yes it is a better quality sub then the alpine.

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 71
does anyone know where to buy a new vmax???

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
You can't buy them just yet, at least not without looking. Check E-Bay.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2376
my DD would kill a 10" Type R. :-O

"I read on here once in a post that someone wrote "A Cerwin Vega Stroker (old model) in the right enclosure, could split the earth". I got a chuckle out of this, and went on with life lol, but I wouldn't doubt it."

and i think that was me. lol

"It was nice, but I said out loud that if it were me, I'd rather have a Cerwin Vega V-15F dropped on my desk as a sign of commitment...I got some strange looks and laughs to say the least."

b/c that was such a random thing to say. duh.
sometimes i wonder about you. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
Come on...who wants flowers? My friends know I'm obsessed with AUDIO, so they knew I was just ranting again lol.

Muddy, you probably WOULD rather have flowers.

And I don't know if your 10" DD would necessarily kill a 10" Vmax though! It'd be an interesting match regardless.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2378
I have no doubt in my mind that it would kill your precious Vmax.:-O

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2379
your mom wants flowers. LMAO!

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Hey now...LOUD SPEAKER KING lol. Enough said. And...your Mom REALLY needs to return my Jordan's from under her bed...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2381
your so g@y. lol

you think b/c a sub has high power handling, and a high Xmax makes it a great sub.
why do you think the Vmax's are so cheap? b/c they are made cheap, so they can sell them cheap and still make a profit.

i don't care that you like Cerwin-Vega, but the fact that you press it on everybody else with such a biased opinion of their products annoys me.:-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2382
please realize that i am only busting your chops.:-) lol

i think CV makes great products, and the Vmax's are a great purchase. it's like i said before, my buddy has one in a 2.2cuft ported box, and that thing slams, and has really good SQ.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4074
CV v-max will be a better sub then the type R thats what has been the comparison lately. If people starts comparing it to the RE SX and the REXXX and the eclipse TI, Id max its not even a comparison but when it comes to entry level subs to mid level subs I feel it is one of the best.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1379
Hmmmmmm - thats very interesting .

Now here's comes the type R Calvary ! lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
I would just like to make it clear, that 1. I don't work for Cerwin Vega (I could only dream of that), so I'm not doing this for money. 2. I enjoy their home audio gear immensely, as it provides large amounts of clean output, at high levels, with astounding bass. So, when recommending their car gear, I base it off of my experience with their HOME gear. Maybe that same quality doesn't carry over? I don't know. 3. I know there are other/better brands out there, like Eclipse, RE, Ascendant Audio, Digital Designs (For Muddy so he doesn't hate me), and so on.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 289
"I have a feeling, that's a lie. ESPECIALLY a 10" SQL woofer. Not SPL, SQL. And RE subs not being as loud? BS. Just plain BS."

It's not a lie. He's a MECA competitor and knows what he's doing. If you think that's impressive, Mark Potts is running 2 12" Type R's off an Orion 2500D and has put up scores of 153-155 legal at the headrest (where most setups suck).

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 290
"The v-max is 600 rms not 400rms and yes it is a better quality sub then the alpine."

Wanna explain your reasoning behind that statement?

"my DD would kill a 10" Type R. :-O"

Depends on who's doin the setup..

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1387
U should not expect that a company who makes good home audio will make good car audio - it just doesn't work that way as we all would know .

Clear examples are Sony,Kenwood,Panasonic (not their HU but mostly everything else) ......

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2222
guys check out www.thecaraudiobox.com and see the results mark potts is getting out of this boxes and setups. I have one of his custom made boxes for sale now. 4.25 cuft tuned to 30hz for a RE SX 15 and it can hit in the 140-147 db range and sound clean

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2402
"my DD would kill a 10" Type R. :-O"

Depends on who's doin the setup..
-------------------------------------------------

yes it does. hehe

j cash
Unregistered guest
"I don't care that you like Cerwin-Vega, but the fact that you press it on everybody else with such a biased opinion of their products annoys me"

hahahahaha he did that whit them dang volfhangs what ever that crap is called. He tells people how thier good for bang for the buck and how they sound soo good i rather get some pioneers t306.

The vmax are nice though. lol

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 555
my 2" sony xplod 1/2 way speaker (the other 1 and 1/2 of the 2 way speaker is missing) has more bass than any of your all's subs! it really thumps hard. Makes my car fall apart. I even hit 220.6 db's in a ported enclosure with 100 cubic feet tuned to 1 Hz. It is powered by a Dual amp that is clipping so much I am having flags thrown at my car by football referee's. The gain knob is broken off it has been cranked up so high. I have the speaker running at .00000001 ohms so my amplifier is used to heat my house as well (see, DUAL, dual functions. Bet you never thought of that)...

LOL, wow where did that come from?

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 260
LMAO that is funny sh!t lol 100 cubic foot box, thats like the size of someones garage...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 556
If your subwoofer box is bigger than your house.... you might be a redneck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
I don't think rednecks...have subwoofers...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2429
nope, i know some.

actually, some of them even have a good deal of what "sounds good", and what "sounds like crap".

but the difference is that even if they know it sounds like crap....they don't care, as long as they "got my music". lol

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 121
lol, i know a red neck that has to re sx's and he bumps his country in them everyday, sounds clean too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us