Alpine R-type vs. Kicker solobaric

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
I have read quite a few forums stating that the Alpine R types are amazing and put up some crazy spl numbers under the right conditions. In your guys' opinions, would a 12" R-type hit higer numbers than a kicker L5 12"?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 553
Well...The Solobarics in general are designed for just SPL. So most likely, no. Type-R will is an SQL woofer I believe, and will get loud, and still sound good. Want something a little better than the Type-R? Check out the new Cerwin Vega Vmax's.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3234
The L5 will be louder.

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
Havent the VMAXs been around for a few years now? I know somewhere that I can get them for like $90 a piece for a 12" I think it is. I'm trying to invision a subwoer cheaper than an r-type being better, although I know its not impossible. I liked the old school vega vegas black pulp cone w/ red waffle style surround). Are the VMAXs jsut as good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
The new Vmax's are BETTER than the new Type-R (old and new all around), and IMO, I would say the old Vmax's would be equal to the new Type-R in SQ, and greater SPL's than the old Type-R.

Although, I'm a big Cerwin Vega fan, so I guess I could be a little biased.

The reason the old Vmax's were around a while, was because of how good they actually are! The new ones, are supposed to be amazing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
Haha, yes Josh, old school Vega's were nice back in the day. Check out their home audio lines, as that's where they got the idea for the original CV Vega woofers. They're VERY close looking, and handle similar power handling. (Most likely, it's a home audio woofer re-named as a subwoofer, because their home audio woofers peak at about 134dB each for a 15", not bad for a 2" voice coil.)

Josh CCS
Unregistered guest
Woah...not bad for home audio...or professional audio for that matter. Most pro-audio stuff I've seen peaks at like 133 maybe. I'm kinda an audio psycho fanatic all around. What is the distinguishing difference between the old VMAXs and the new ones just in case I see some and can't tell by sight, are they a difference in model numbers or...?).

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
New ones are 600W RMS/1200W PEAK. They are silver aluminumed coned (as are they old), but they have a dark gray/black foam surround. Magnet strugtures are larger and much more sturdy. Specwise, like FR and such, are pretty similar such as the 20Hz-500Hz.

Voice coil size is the same although I think it's made of a more durable material. Also, they have a higher XMAX than the older ones. Old model numbers were i.e. Cerwin Vega V-Max 12D4 (For 4 ohm DVC), where new is Cerwin Vega V-Max 12.4.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us