$700 Budget System

Silver Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 125
My friend wants to put in a new system in his car. His budget isn't very high. His budget is around $700. He needs a headunit, amp, subs, wires, and speakers. The front speakers are 4x6 and the rears are 6x9.I know that is a lot for $700, but I was wandering if you guys had any suggestions. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 799
Buy my HU for a $100 shipped, that would be a good start! :P

It's a Pioneer DEH-P3600, it's a pretty nice mid-level HU especially for the price I am selling it for!

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 230
rear 6x9's will only hurt your total sq in your car
i would get infiniti kappa 4x6" the .7 though (its 2 ohm) its like 90$ shipped on ebay
a little amp for it like a kx150.2 its on ebay for like 120$ shipped
nice head unit like pioneer personally i like the p770 i found that the best bang for the buck its like 200$
and then i dont know if your after spl or sq subs
and do you want your subs to bang or just so u can feel it

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 231
yo can always take the kicker amp out and use it toward your subs and just hook the speakers up to your head unit but then you would have to get the .5 kappas (4ohm) instead and its like 10$ cheaper

Silver Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 126
Well he probably just wants spl in his system. The subs he has been looking at are all crap. He liked a powercrapstic sub but I told him it wasn't very good. Any other ideas? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 62
alpine type-r's are a good sub for a good price. you can usually find them for around 100 bucks each on ebay and even some other sites so ive heard

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4050
cerwin vega v-max is a better sub then the type r. If you go on ebay they can be had for under $100 shipped.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 286
Panasonic has some great 50x4 decks greattt!

Go for that frist.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 540
I agree with James, go with the Cerwin Vega Vmax's. And if that's a bit too much money, the HED series will get pretty dang loud for a "smallish" type sub.

Afterall, HED, doesn't mean "High-Energy Design" for nothing.

Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 10
why would the rear 6x9 hurt the total sq in the car?

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
Alan, you can get Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood HU's for $100-150 on a lot of sites. Stay away from brands like JVC/Panasonic/Sony/Boss as far as HU's go.

If you go with Vmax's, Audiobahn makes the A8000T which Isaac recommends on a budget, because it puts out the power, and sounds pretty good, and it can be had for $115! That's the lowest I've ever seen that is...

I wouldn't go with Infinity speakers personally, I think they're garbage. Robert, I don't know that 6x9's will hurt his SQ anymore than a 4x6/5x7/6x8/4x10 co-axial speaker would in general. They're oval shaped, and lack in power handling/bandwidth, so it doesn't matter. 6x9's will give him a little extra bass, and he doesn't want to drive around with empty holes in the back of his car where the 6x9's SHOULD be anyways.

Besides, it's really dependent on the brand of speaker. A Sony 6x9 will sound like garbage, an Diamond Audio 6x9 will sound really good on the other hand, it's really on the build quality of the speaker that the SQ comes from, as well as other techinicalities that higher end companies pay attention to.

I say get the 6x9's, but buy a good brand. Just getting two 4x6's won't give you enough mids/highs to keep up with the large quantities of bass that the Vmax's can put out.

Here's what I would say for your friend to get as far as a system goes for about $700:

2 Cerwin Vega Vmax's: As low as $90 each, or $180 a pair.
http://69.93.14.227/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=94

I say power the front 4x6's with the HU's power, as 4x6's are a smaller speaker requiring less power, in this case, 40W RMS I believe. So you'll only be low b 18W RMS, not hurting anything unless you abuse the system with clipping, which is avoided easily with careful listening.

I figure many will disagree with the choice of the Audiobahn intake amps, but Isaac advised me to get mine, and I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price. Remember, this guy wanted speakers, HU, subs, amp all for $700. I would say I put him together a pretty dang nice system there for a good price, totally $660 if he does wise shopping online/E-Bay.

And I just realized...There's not much in the low price range to buy as far as co-axial speakers that sound good. I would say though, try Polk Audio LONG before you go with Infinity for co-axial speakers. IMO, Polk has still maintained quality, and isn't as iffy unlike Infinity...

I've heard many a few Polk VS. Infinity home speakers, and the Polk's sound much more natural, where the Infinity's sound like their mids/highs are forced. Honestly, go Polk.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Chad Lee, Robert is basing this on the fact of a premium car system runs just a front stage as it sounds more natural. But I still believe that if you have good speakers, and run front&read stages, the SQ will sound just the same. Please, tell me what the difference between fron&rear stages are, VS. a home surround sound system.

A friend of mine has Sony front 6.5" and rear 6x9's, and they sound garbagy. Another friend is running Polk's, but I believe 6.5" and 5x7's, and the SQ is much better, which I believe proves my point better.

Component speakers were a bit out of your range, as they require more power than you can afford while still wanting subs/amp, as well as components cost more in general for GOOD ones, as well as more detailed installation tactics.

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 154
ive been reading about whether to have the back speakers or not.. if you get a good enough pair of 6.5" componets for the front, isnt that good enough. i mean im driving a 3000GT, you cant fit your fist between front seat and back seat, some girls i know that are 5'2 have to sit across the back seats, and i rarely put anyone in the back. so if im looking to spend like 225-275 on a decent set of componets, will that make up for the back, with an amp for them, of course. i mean esp with 2 10" RE SEs in the hatch

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
6.5" components are enough, especially a good pair, but I'm talking mostly on his situation, spending that much money on speakers isn't for him if he wants the other stuff.

Personally I'll always be a suck for the dual 6.5" towers or single 8" woofer combinations when it comes to home audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us