Tuning a box 28Hz-34Hz

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 249
If I port my SX15 in a 3 cubic foot box, what should I tune it to, and how big should my port be??? I tried calling RE, but they didn't really help me much. I was trying to explain i have a camaro and I will need a custom box...

But I have figured out that I can probably fit 3 cubic feet in the back, I just have no idea what to tune the box to, or the size, shape of the port. Any ideas???

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10765
28Hz would be very nice

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 699
dont listen to glass.. he would tune everything at 28 hz.. you probably didnt buy it for superiour SQ so tune it higher 30's to get squeeze some more spl out of it... higher its tuned the louder its gonna be(to a point) but your also gonna lose that deep base .. so its up to you

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 70
"dont listen to glass.." that may be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. he's one of the few people on here i would trust. and that low deep bass (nice job spelling base), is the best kind of bass IMO, the kind you can really feel in your chest. One thing ive learned on here, glasswolf will rarely steer you wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 704
im not saying hes steering him wrong by any means nor would i be one to tell him that in anything car audio related,, im just saying he has an spl sub so im assuming he wants it to get loud and tuning a box higher will do that.. when u tune a box high and feel that (!"bass"!)lol in the mid 40's u feel it... especially with that beast

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10773
he's got a point.
use 28Hz if you want really deep, musical bass and better SQ.

if you want this as an SPL sub, do as he mentioned. Find the sympathetic frequency of your vehicle, and tune the box just above that frequency. Probably around 55Hz.
It'll sound awful, but it'll hit very hard.

you can always cut two port tubes and see which tuned frequency you prefer, too.

45Hz is what most prefab boxes are set for, and I tend to find it too boomy for my tastes, and since you'll need a subsonic filter at or just below the tuned frequency, you'll be losing just about everything from 40Hz down, but give that a try too and see what you think. Some love the increase in output at that point more than they miss the really deep response.

like most things, there are always pros and cons to each choise.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10774
he's got a point.
use 28Hz if you want really deep, musical bass and better SQ.

if you want this as an SPL sub, do as he mentioned. Find the sympathetic frequency of your vehicle, and tune the box just above that frequency. Probably around 55Hz.
It'll sound awful, but it'll hit very hard.

you can always cut two port tubes and see which tuned frequency you prefer, too.

45Hz is what most prefab boxes are set for, and I tend to find it too boomy for my tastes, and since you'll need a subsonic filter at or just below the tuned frequency, you'll be losing just about everything from 40Hz down, but give that a try too and see what you think. Some love the increase in output at that point more than they miss the really deep response.

like most things, there are always pros and cons to each choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
i just want it to sound goos with rap songs, and the sythesized bass of those beats.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
good*

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1061
if you like the low hitting rap sounds and like throw it up and stuff and you want a happy medium tune it to like 33hz... but IMO id tune it to 30hz... and if your not worried about "having the loudest system" then do what glass said at 28hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us