Kicker CVR 15"

Bronze Member
Username: Black013

Post Number: 12
im looking for 2 15's for under 200$ and i have come down 2 Kicker CVR or the Volfenhag and I wanted to know which one is better for a 2000 watts 1ohm stable amp????

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1179
oh thats easy - Kicker comps are in a much higher class than V . Get 2 of the 4ohms model .

What amp is that BTW ?????? give model no.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
will they be able to be wired to 1 ohm also why get 4ohm and not the 2ohm

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1181
this is why 4ohms Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
okay thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 376
See on the other hand lets look at this logically. Volfenhag 15" subs are about $75 each. Kicker CVR's are about $115. ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT EXTRA $40 IS AUTOMATICALLY GOING TO MAKE IT A BETTER PRODUCT?

I don't like the CVR's as to me, they sound "tinny" and lack in the lower end of the bass range. Just MO, no one has to agree, but I think the Volfenhags have a more extended bass bandwidth!

Sorry, had to vent, I'm just sick of sillyness. I mean, come on, RE makes amazing products, but costs far less than JL Audio. Does that mean that RE's products can't compete with JL Audio? NO! Even GW said something about there not being a HUGE amount of differences in the quality of the two brands.

At least I can say one thing, Volfenhag stuck with the original concept of how woofers should be round...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so which 1 will be louder ???

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
Oh, my Volfenhags are sealed, and the CVR's I've heard were ported to about 35Hz or so. I'd have to say though, they both get about equally loud.

I just like the sound of the Volfenahgs better than the CVR's.

If you want to get something better than both of those, however, try the old model Cerwin Vega VMAX's. They are about the same price as the CVR's.

They have less RMS power, but I'm 100% sure they'll get louder, lower, and sound much better than the Volfenhags OR CVR's. The new 2005 model is supposed to be good as well.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1182
Seriously - u saying a Volfenhag can compete with a Kicker !?

If u love your Volfenahgs (u spelt it that way lol) then fine but don't recommend them to ppl like they are the best subs ever for the price & because u own them .

I own Pioneer subs & like them for the price too but u don't hear me rec it to ppl when there are better to be had .

Everybody knows Kick comps are good subs ,not the best but good . If some of those other well respected guys were on the forum they would voice their opinions loud/clear of Volfenhag compared to the Kicker & say there is no comparison . U do not have to defend Volfenhags everysingle time some1 posts about it , there are probably 5 ppl on this entire forum who like that brand .

The usual price of those Kickers are $170 so if this guy is getting a good pair for $200 then thats a good enough deal .

No disrespect intended though, Tyler .......Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
Usual price on Volfenhags is about $110 from an audio shop or standard online retailer...

Ask GW though, he doesn't like Volfenhags (there I spelled it right!), but he doesn't like Kickers either...

And what about the fact of the every car/situation/environment is different.

Let me give you an example, I have a pair of hand built sealed speakers that my dad built back in the 80's with complete Radio Shack parts. Tweeter to X-over, complete Radio Shack guts. The SQ from these two speakers is impeccable. The bass is astoundingly low, the highs and mids are very crisp! But, him being an electronics genius, he knew how to build and design everything perfectly to the letter.

I tried to do something similar with equivalent guts, and my speakers sound like sh!t compared to his. This just proves, it's about the build.

The CVR's I've heard were at a local audio shop and were in a pretty large ported box, with about a 4" slotted port. IMO, they sounded tinny, but they were loud.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1183
GW doesn't like SQUARE Kickers or any square subs ,but numerous time he said comp/vr though not great are ok .

"And what about the fact of the every car/situation/environment is different". - i can agree with that fully cause box building etc make or breaks how well a sub sounds . Case in point Becker subs are on bad in the list but yrs ago i had a 10" hand me down Becker & i built a small box for it with a single 2" circle port with NO pipe & it sounded like a pair of 12s !

But back to modern day - i don't see anybody rec Volfenhags for a good system . If alot of very experienced guys say brand xyz is not so good cause they used it before then u must respect that or waste your time/$ trying to prove them wrong .

Maybe those guys messed up installation on those Vrs u heard , could be anything with so many factors involved influencing how a set-up sounds .

The point is like everything in life if there's better then don't settle for less - save up your $ until u can get better .

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Well I never see myself putting out $800-1000 for a JL W7. It just isn't happening...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us