Box for 2 12'' Kicker CVR's..Question!

Bronze Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 83
k, i got a question about a dual 12'' ported box. if the ports are like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONIX-12-DUAL-VENTED-SUB-BOX-ENCLOSURE-JL-AUDIOBAHN_W0QQitemZ 5816389624QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
will it sound alot better if the ports were like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTED-MDF-BOX-ENCLOSURE-FOR-2-12-SUBS-SUB-WOOFERS_W0QQitemZ 5814991665QQcategoryZ14945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
im going to get one of these box's, which do you guys recommend. i got a sealed box for my CVR's and i just dont think its getting loud enough, should one of these ported box's do the trick?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1163
I like the 2nd box design better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
its about a $33 dollar difference, is it worth it to pay that much more for the 2nd box, will it sound any better?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2105
the 2nd one is tuned to 38hz.....hope you don't plan on getting much SQ from your CVR's in the new enclosure. lol

but i agree w/Rovin, i i had to choose based on box design(and box design only) i would pick the 2nd one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
k, i got it that you guys like the second design, haha, but will the boxs sound they same? i could careless on the looks

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 292
yah the second box looks more quality.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2106
not sure, i don't see anywhere on the 1st one where it states what the box is tuned to.(kinda p!ssin me off a bit seeing as though that is VERY vital info).

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
yah i was looking for that too. Kinda foreshadows the integrity of the box ya know. Prolly isnt "tuned" so to speak. They prolly through a port on there and were like lets sell it, lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
not sure what its tuned to, but i bought a box from the first box link, it sounded pretty good it was a single 12'' ported, what is a good tuning for some sq and good spl?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2108
high 20's to low to mid 30's?

my box is tuned to 30hz, and it sounds great with all types of music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
"they prolly through a port on there and were like lets sell it, lol."

Threw*

im a dumbass

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
i dont know if a certain Freq will give you better SQ, all it means is that the sub will play the loudest at that freq. 25-45Hz seem to be pretty common tuning freq. ive seen on this board.

Muddy will have your def. answer though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
k, should i just take my chances on the 1st one, im looking for spl and sq, but if the 2nd box is mostly spl, then should i just gamble with the first?

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
damn

i knew his thread would show up before mine.

disregard my thread then

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1165
Well in looks dept. - the 2nd wins it hands down .

See i got a theory which might sound lame to other ppl but to me when the ports are separate i find the bass sounds more fuller & less cloudy when its both coming out so near together . To me there might be some wave cancellations there too if the ports are so close too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
alright, so i should pay the extra 33 dollars for the second one, and will it have ok sq?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2111
i just wish i knew what the first box was tuned to.

when you are listening to something like Rock, Jazz, Classical, W/E.
there are 20hz and 25hz tones all over the place.
but when you listen to a rap song, the only bass is the one that is digitally produced, so you know that is the only freq. being played.
if you play a freq. under 38hz in that box, your subs will unload, it happened to me yesterday while i was showing off my new amp to my friends. lol

so if you only plan on using that box for comps, or you don't plan on listening to Chopped & Screwed-type bass, or Rock ,etc. at really loud volumes, then you should be ok. otherwise, i wouls try and find a box that is tuned lower.

another ? - what is the Fs of the CVR's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
when u say: your subs will unload, what do u mean by that? and what do u mean by: whats are the Fs of the CVR's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
yah thats what i thought

if you play a tone below your tuning freq your sub will over excurse.

How low of tones is rap usually, know it varies, but what is it mostly?

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Fs is the drivers free air resonance. the driver has its maximum impedance at this freq.

unload means that your sub over excurses

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2112
i would say between 40-60hz for most rap songs.
some songs i listen to are around 25-40hz, so i have to be careful. lol

i bottomed my DD out the other day as i mentioned before, but it was because it was a freq. below that of which my box was tuned, and i went from 150wRMS on my DD, to 870wRMS. i wasn't used to the increase in power. but i am now:-) lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
oh, well im not sure what the Fs is, but if i get the box tah is tuned to 38hz, and play a 30hz tone, my subs will over excurse? is this a bad thing, and oh ya, i sometimes listen to choped and screwed type bass

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2113
if you are giving the subs their full Recommended RMS wattage, then yes they will unload, and more than likely, just like my DD did......the VC will smack the top and the bottom plate several times before you have the reaction time to turn it down.:-)

i will say, that this is NOT healthy for your subs.
when your subs reach their mechanical excursion:-(see above). which can ruin the VC.

my advice to you is not to get this box, ESPECIALLY if you listen to chopped and screwed bass. lol

besides that, a box tuned that high will not have good SQ with music like rock even at moderate levels, b/c the freq. repsonse drops off Dramatically after the designated tuned freq.:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
overexcursion is very bad and damage to the driver could result.

if you have a subsonic filter on the amp it is basically a HPF that filters out freq below what your box is tuned too. The reason Muddy thinks that box is tuned to high is because you could either damage it by playing below 38Hz or if you had a subsonic filter on your amp, than freq. below that would be cut out so to speak so you wouldnt hear them.

So if you were playing a song and it played a 25Hz note, than you wouldnt hear it. It might make the music sound chopped up and wierd.

So try to find a box that is tunned a bit lower so you can basically play lower freq so you dont run into these problems.

Muddy,

Dont you have a subsonic filter on your new amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
k, which box are you suggesting i dont get?
and im running the 2 12'' cvr's on a kx600.1, so i dont think im giving them the full rms

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
well, you dont necessarily need full RMS to get full mechanical excursion, you might only need say 75%. So i wouldnt recommend getting that box either.

Either box

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
can you build your own box or is that not an option?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2115
yes, but my box is tuned to 30hz, and the first bass note in the song was under 20hz, and then it swept up from there.

i have it on now, and it is 25hz.:-)
but like i said, i used to have only 150wRMS on my DD, and i could play down to about 25hz before i had to turn it down.....well i didn't take that into consideration when i had an amp on it with 4 times the power. i had it at full volume, and it hit that note, and the rest is history.(btw, my DD is rated at 500wRMS)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
building my own isnt an option, do you guys no any place that sells good boxes for a low price? or is ebay the only place..and yes i have a subsonic filter on my amp

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2116
Mike, you should change your name to Mike D.
i get confused reading yours and Mike Johnsons, and Mike Jones, and another Mike's whose username is mixmastaspig. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
lol thats quite a bit of headroom :-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2117
www.powered4sound.com will build you a box to spec, but they aren't cheap.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1167
MJ - can't u do some carpentry & build your OWN box ?
Its pretty simply & fun like 1/2 a day's work & should be better structually & sounding better than most prefab boxes selling .... Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Its not THAT expensive to build your own box either.

Is that better Muddy, lol

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1169
Ooops - u posted while i was typing & had some other Threads opened ......

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2118
i'm sorry, 6 times the power.

150wRMS x 6 = 900wRMS, and my amp does 870wRMS sooooo. lol

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2119
yes, much better. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
sorry guys but building a box isnt an option. should i got with the 1st box? do you think it will get a lot louder than my sealed box?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2121
why not........try the first one.:-)

when(and IF) you don't like it, simply post a thread abou it and we will go from there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
k, im really confused on the whole tuning thing, but if i buy it and dont like it, can i retune it?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2122
IDEA!!!

e-mail the seller of the 1st box.
ask him if he knows what the box might be tuned to.
talk to ya 2morrow.:-O

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
k, just emailed him, im goin to bed, bye

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
its tuned to 34hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts