Sub Box

Bronze Member
Username: Romic00

Post Number: 20
Hi i finnaly managed and build a box for my dodge ram under the rear seat. The box is prety small compared to a square box. my box is made out of 2 boxes one is 6x9x6.5 high inches and on top is another 12x12x2.5 inches. This is the only way i can put the sub under the seat the boxes are joined but i think they are to small for a 10' sub. The sub fits in but i am worried that it won't sound to good. Do you guys think there is enough room in the box? can i make a port or it's better sealed. THX

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 271
Well if those are outside dimensions then it has less than a 1/4 cubic foot (.188) of volume, which is not good at all.

However if those are inside measurements then its closer to 1/2 a cubic foot (.412) which still is small but acceptable for certain 10" woofers.

(also, i gathered that info assuming you used 3/4" MDF for the enclosure)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I did some calculations and i got somewhere around .350 cubic foot. Is there anything i can do to make it sound good. Would a port do anything. I didn't try the sub yet. I will probably have to try it then let you guys know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Almost forgot i plan on using 1/2 mdf. The box is not complete yet only a carboard model. is 1/2 ok or should i use 5/8 mdf thx.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
:-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
i am going to buy 1/2 inch mdf i see noone wants to help

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
well, it depends how much your sub is pushing. 1'2" MDF is gonna flex easier than 5/8". I would go for 5/8" if you have the choice.

and about putting a port. usually the box has to be bigger compared to a sealed box. and it also gets a little hard to build a ported box that sounds good with limited space.

check around in your sub's manual or their website for recommended inside cubic footage. the closer you get to the recommended size, the better your sub will sound.

Oh and if your box is a bit too small then the recommended size, you can always put fiberfill inside the box. somehow this tricks the sub that the box is bigger.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
i got 5/8 and i am in progress of making the box today it should be finnished i can't wait to see how the sub will sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us