Dual Subs = Dual Port?

Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Ok today's the day. I'm in the process of makin' 2 boxes. 1 Ported Infinity 1230w calls for 2 cu.ft. and a 4in. diameter port 12.25 in. long. Since I'm making 2 dual sub boxes, would each box just double; ex. 4cu.ft. and 2 4in. diameter 12.25in. ports? Also where can I get the wire fixture that grabs the wires on the outside of the box?

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
BUMP!! C'MON...

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 6
BUMP!! C'MON...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1136
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

each sub needs its own volume to function in as well as its own port .

U can make a single box but it must be divided in the middle & u also have to check space volume of each sub .

I use the calculators here www.the12volt.com whenever i'm building any sub boxes ......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1137
"U can make a single box but it must be divided in the middle & u also have to check space volume of each sub . " ------- also volume of the separating piece of mdf must be taken into consideration too as well as any internal bracing pieces ......

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10671
Christ, talk about impatient little kids!

This is why I'm still single, and have no children.. if I had a kid tugging at my pant leg every five minutes like this, I'd murder the brat.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1139
LOL !

The poor guy's prolly in his cover-alls & power tools plugged on ,all sweaty & itching to get started on some good old fashion box construction - but waiting to get the go ahead from some1 .....hehehe

remember the old saying about wood though : "measure once , cut twice !" Upload

Just kidding with u SIX ......Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 989
Roger that.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 990
Im so close to Gold, I can feel it...

*dances around*

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 259
"NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

each sub needs its own volume to function in as well as its own port . "

Not true..Every ported enclosure I design is common chamber, single port. No real need to give them seperate airspace.

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
Well, yes. I was ALREADY cutting wood. And now I am on box design 2. But back to the point of confusion again. I guess they all have their own 2cu.ft. chamber now, and they all have their own 4in. diameter, 12in. long, port. I should take pics; the box is coming along pretty nicely. (He He - Got some 1/4 in. sheets of plexi now) MUAHAHAHAHA

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
What do you plan on doin with the 1/4" plexi?

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 8
Ahh. I'm just goin' to router a lip that goes 1" inside the perimeter of the top of the box and insert the plexi so you can see through. Should be a nice effect...

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
"Ahh. I'm just goin' to router a lip that goes 1" inside the perimeter of the top of the box and insert the plexi so you can see through. Should be a nice effect..."

lol.

1/4" plexi will flex like hell. You need atlest 3/4" Plexi which isn't cheap at all.

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 9
You sure? this SH!T is prettty hard & stiff. Ahh, I remember. It's not plexi; It's some other material. Some L word. Two 3ft. by 2ft. sheets came out to like $56. I can't even bend this stuff.

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 10
The true "Plexi" they had in 1/8" and 1/4" and it really was flexible. It woulda been like putting saran wrap over the hole in the box LOL.

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 116
you probably have lexan which is stiffer than plexi not sure how much though

Bronze Member

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 13
THAT'S the word...

Username: Soundtech26

Chilliwack, BC Canada

Post Number: 5
Hey six to answer your question about common or separate chambers for two of the same sub. Yes make the chamber common. Separating to boxes is only necessary if the idiot wiring the box wires the subs out of phase with eachother. I have always constructed multisub boxes this way and that is the way pros do it. For your port question you will require a port for each sub or a common port that has the same volume as the two put together...however this part can be quite complex as the ports are tunned for frequency response and this can require a large amount of physics try to contact the sub manufacturer for an answer to this one. The benefit to one larger port is decreased port noise as the velocity of the air around the edges of a port cause a certain low frequency whistling noise that decreases sound quality while increasing output efficiency. What this means is more boom for the same power but at a cost to sound quality. The fixture you are refering to is a terminal block and these can be purchased at any car audio supply store...try to get one with screw type terminals as they have alower resistance then push type terminals. How about you make one box for all your subs instead and one big port for all four as long as they are the same sub type this will give you the most bang for you buck... Keep it loud and clean from canada peace out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us