Glass,jonathan,isaac anyone?

Username: Wolf_hound

Post Number: 5
Okay i know this isnt a car forum but ive tried looking around the net and found little information. Plus theres alot of people here who know about cars.
Alright My buddy is selling me a transmission for $100 It was from a 1994-1995 ford mustang the motor was a v-6 3.8 automatic real wheel drive. I want to know if this transmission could fit in a 1988 Buick park avenue v-6 3.8 front wheel drive. Thats really cheap and he will install it in my car for 50 bucks. I know he knows what hes doing cause he rebuilt his whole engine. But it should fit shouldnt it? theyre both 3.8 v-6 except my car is a front wheel drive and the tranny came off a real wheel drive mustang. thats why i dont think it will fit.
Someone who knows please please tell me so i can buy it. Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3790
Rebuilding an engine is different than chaning a transmission. Tranny's are a biotch!

Honestly though, how do you expect a tranny for a rear wheel drive car to work in a front wheel drive car?????? There's a hugggge difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 50
do u want to keep your car front wheel drive? if u dont then u have a lot of work to do and the transmission wont fit in a front wheel drive car because the engine in front wheel drive vehicles sits sideways unlike rear wheel drive cars, the engine sits the other way. if you want to make your car rear wheel drive you will need a drive shaft and rear end.

Post Number: 6
lol thats why i was asking cause mine is a front wheel drive. im sorry but i dont really know that much about cars.

What about if i were to put the mustang v-6 3.8 motor into my car and keep the regular tranny thats for front wheel drive the motor should fit its a v-6 3.8 like the motor i have. the mustang motor looks like exactly like the ford thunderbird motors if you have ever seen a thunderbird from like 1991 to 1995.

Post Number: 7
Corey yes i want to keep it front whheel drive i know its a biaatch to convert it to real wheel drive.lol

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3794
Your asking for a ton of work. You can't just take the mustang engine out and drop it into your Buick. You'd have to fabricate all new brackets and stuff, major headache just because you need a new tranny...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4869
A GM 3.8 and a Ford 3.8 are two different animals. Different bellhousings, different flywheels, different tranny length between manufacturers.

Beside that, a RWD Mustang transmission will in no way work on a FWD Park Avenue. FWD cars have transaxles, the difference between a transmission and a transaxle is that a transaxle includes the final drive gearing and is designed to be parallel with the front axle. Simply put, there is no way for it to work.

You should be able to find a cheap transaxle for your car, though, GM FWD cars with 3.8s are as plentiful as it gets. Doesn't matter if it is a Chevy, Pontiac, or a Buick, it is a corporate drivetrain.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3795
The cost to put the Mustang engine in would be more than the Buick is actually worth probably.

Post Number: 8
lol screw the mustang crap then. How much should a used tranny cost for my car i dont wanna get ripped off.I know they have to take my old one out and put the new one plus labor and all that. How much should it cost for just the tranny i could porobably get one of my friends who know to install it. I heard buick trannys are esy to put on and take off is true right? Thank you for your help guys even if they are dunmb questions. lol

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3799
Over a grand.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 958
Jonathan took care of that one... I was getting scared there for a minute...

Depending on how old the car is (condition wise), would make me consider a rebuilt tranny or a used one. If it's a decently new car, then I'd go rebuilt. They're practically better than stock... You're looking at $1,000 - $2,500 or so...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4872
Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred tops. Depends on the condition, mileage, availability, person selling it. Auto parts places offer remanufactured transaxles for fair prices, and carry a warranty unlike what you'll get from a junkyard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us