Does the weight of an Amp an Indicator to how good it is?

Bronze Member
Username: Aooo

Post Number: 22
As this is the case in home audio amps, the more they weigh generally = better power supplies.
Does this generally apply to car amps as well?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 155
not really my amp for example is a rockford bd1001 amp and it is really small an weighs maybe 7 pounds or so and it puts out and underrated 1000 watts. cheaper amps maybe twice the size and do not put out half that power. the thing to look for with amps are the reliable name brands such as jl zapco kicker certain rockford fosgate models and jbl amps there are other but thats just to give you an idea

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 915
U just cannot judge any amps with that measure - it depends on the quality on the components which comprise the amp thats why a 1000wrms amp will cost $200 in 1 company(like Boss) & $1000 in another like Zapco .

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 235
No size doesnt matter.I bet my orion hcca 225g4 amp puts out more power than a "1000" watt sony amp and the sony amp is twice the size.

Bronze Member
Username: Aooo

Post Number: 27
I wasn't talking just about size but more regarding to the weight. A small amp in size can still weigh a lot.
But I guess the same goes for that as well?

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 242
Actually my orion and the sony amp im talkin about r about the same weight.It all just depends on the brands i guess.It does seem like the more they weigh the better they should be.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10579
no because you don't know where the weight is.. power supply, case, heat spreaders, etc..

also the class of amp will greatly affect the footprint and generally the weight as well.. a class D amp is smaller and puts out more power than a class AB amp generally speaking.. at least per ampere it does.

it's better to see how the amplifier is put together instead.

here:
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/amplifiers.html

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4454
Unlike home stereo that contain large transformers, car amps don't.
If people judged amps' quality based on weight, then all the cheap manufacturers would simply replace anything aluminum with metal/steel case and add $5 10lb weight inside.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1092
additional info:
http://caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0111cae_anatomy/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us