Need help choosing an amplifier for speakers

Dacali
Unregistered guest
I have Infinity Reference 6000cs (4 Ohm, 2-90W RMS) up front and Alpine SPS-690A (4 Ohm, 2-50W RMS) in rear, and I've been wanting to get an amp for them for some time now.

Current setup:
2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Alpine CDA-9847 (3 x 2V preouts)
Infinity Reference 6000cs (4 Ohm, 2-90W RMS, 6.5" Components)
Alpine SPS-690A (4 Ohm, 2-50W RMS, 6"x9" Coaxials)

I'm looking for just *decent* clean output. Should I go with a 4-channel or 2 2-channel amps? My budget is about $300 for the amp and wiring. Thanks in advance!

-Dacali

Just wondering, would the 4V preouts on the Alpine CDA-9827 (was stolen :-( ) make a difference in sound quality?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 122
How noticable the difference in SQ from the 4v preouts to the 2v i dont know. Theoretically Yes.

Go for two 2 channels because of the power handling difference (~40wRMS)

Your price range limits you to lower quality amps esp. considering your gunna need a distribution block, and all the wiring, etc...

However, you can Look on ebay for deals on Eclipse amps to power the Alpines, i just bought a Eclipse EA2212 "buy it now" for like $86 after shipping.

Look for other deals on Alpine and eclipse amps to fit in the price range on ebay.

If you do have to go low quality route, ive had experience with Profile and they arnt too bad, prolly one of the better, crappy brands if you know what i mean.

Dacali
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply!

About how much should I expect to pay for a decent amp or two? Any other brands that you would recommend?

I may just get a single 2-channel amp and run most of the cables for amping all four speakers. This will at least give me the ability to amp the fronts and the option of doing the rears fairly easily. I figure it's just as easy running lower guage power cables and two sets of RCA cables instead of one.

Is it alright to place both sets of RCA cables beside each other? What's the harm in hooking up an amp that can handle more power than the speakers (10W?, 20W?, 25+W?, etc.)

-Dacali

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 126
good brands - http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32

you wont find any of the good brands in your price range except for on ebay. You could just get an amp for your front stage and leave the rears off the head unit. That would be ok for now.

Its ok to run the RCAs next to eachother, however run the power cable on the other side of the car.

Its ok to hook up an amp that is a little more powerful than your speakers but not too much. Its actually beneficial during musical transients (ie: piano to Forte) Your only using a little bit of power during moderate listening, its actually the dynamics that require the extra power. So 25w over isnt gunna hurt anything if its clean unclipped power.

Dacali
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the link!

Looks like I'll be going with Alpine an MRP-F240 (4 x 40W @ 4 Ohm or 2 x 100W @ 4 Ohm) from ikesound.com. I'm not sure if I want to just amp my front only or front and rear. I'll just wire them both ways and test them out.

Later down the road, I may add an Alpine MRP-T220 (2 x 50W @ 4 Ohm) for the rears and bridge the other one for the front. Thanks again for the help!

Do you have any recommendations on power, patch, and speaker cables? I was thinking 8 gauge from the battery to a distribution block then 10 guage from the block to the amps. I'm not sure what gauge wire for the speaker cables. Do you have a preferred place to shop for wires?

-Dacali

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 160
American HiFi (Rockwood)
American Pro
Audiovox
Automobile
Becker
Boss
DHD
JDL
Jensen
Kenwood (speakers)
Kole
Kraco
Kronik
LA Sound
Legacy
MA Audio
Optimus (Radio Shack)
Planet Audio (Boss, by any other name)
Power Acoustik
Pyle
Pyramid
Rockwood
SAS Bazooka (amplifiers)
Sherwood
Sony (anything by Sony)
Sound Storm
Sparkomatic
SPL Audio
Thump
Ultimate Sounds
Visonik
Volfenhag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questionable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpine (lower model speakers)
Autotek
Audiobahn
Blaupunkt
Aiwa
Crunch
Hifonics
Hollywood
Kenwood (amplifiers, head units)
Lanzar
Lightning Audio
Matsui
MTX (subs)
Onyx Mobile Audio
Panasonic
Phoenix Gold (ask on specific models)
Pioneer (amplifiers and speakers)
Precision Power (PPI) (newer non-US made amplifiers)
Rockford Fosgate (current products)
SAS Bazooka (all products)

Good

Alpine (amplifiers, Type-R speakers and subs)
Altec Lansing
Alumapro
Ample Audio
Audio Development
Avionixx
Boston Acoustics
Cadence (current amplifier products)
Cerwin Vega (subs)
Clarion (head units)
Coustic
Crossfire
Crystal
Directed (DEI)
Earthquake
Eaton
Elemental Designs (eD)
Helix
Illusion
Infinity
JBL (amplifiers)
JVC Digifine
Kicker (amplifiers, subwoofers)
Lunar
Memphis Audio
MTX (amplifiers)
Phoenix Gold (some models)
Polk Audio
Rockford Fosgate (some models)
Soundstream
USAcoustics

Highly Recommended

a/d/s
Adire
Alpine (head units, signal processors)
Arc Audio
Audax
Audio Control
Brax
Butler Audio
CD Technologies (CDT)
Diamond Audio
Digital Designs (DD)
DynAudio
Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten)
Esoteric Audio
Focal
Harrison Labs
Image Dynamics (ID)
Infinity Kappa/Kappa Perfect components
JL Audio (subs, XR components, slash series amps)
KEF Kar components
Kove
Luxman
MB Quart
McIntosh Laboratories
MMATS
Morel
Nakamichi (tape transports)
Ohio Alternator
Orion
OZ Audio
Pioneer Premiere (head units)
Precision Power (PPI) (Art series amps, old)
Rainbow
Resonant Engineering (RE)
Rockford Fosgate (older 80s and 90s models)
Sinfoni
Streetwirez
Stinger
US Amps
Wrangler Alternators
Xtant
Zapco

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us