2 questions

Bronze Member
Username: Texasseville

TEXAS U.S.A.

Post Number: 21
I have a bandpass box w/ a plexiglass window and I just broke the plexiglass window

does that effect the bass at all or performance of the sub

and my second question is::

how many watts typically can you use before upgrading to a more powerful alternator?

thanks for any help!!!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4378
Q1: You need to replace it or seal it off. It will give you terrible sound.

Q2: 200w rms on the average.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 819
"broke the plexiglass window" - absolutely , that holds a specific air volume & u should notice a difference in sound right away . If its a flat piece of plexi simple replace it but if its 1 of those curved preformed types ,well i don't where u'd get that replcement .

2nd question - www.bcae1.com & www.the12volt.com should have the answer on that ...

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 228
"Q2: 200w rms on the average"

Was that a typo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4379
No, after 200w rms, your lights will start dimming. Most car manufacturers will allow that much with stock alternator.
If you dont trust me, try attaching couple of 10A spot lights in your car. You'll see it dim with every rpm change.

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Nearly all stock alts will handle 500w RMS with no problems..I think your theory is a little off. I've ran 500-800w RMS off my stock alt without voltage drop or dimming lights. I'm not saying this wont vary from vehicle to vehicle, because it will.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4386
500w rms? Are you sure? That's almost 40A. On a typical 70A stock alternator, 50A - 60A are used by the car's internal electronics and accessories.
Take any average car and break down the alternator's power, and you will see.
In my Acura, it comes with 75A, and if I subtract all the power hungry items, it leaves me with 20A the most.
You can install a 800w amp and still operate without dimming lights. It however, doesn't mean the amp is putting out 800w rms. If you have a current tester, try it. If not, you can always replace the fuse near the battery with 30A fuse. If that fuse doesn't blow, then you know the amp is not getting much current.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
"500w rms? Are you sure? That's almost 40A. On a typical 70A stock alternator, 50A - 60A are used by the car's internal electronics and accessories.
Take any average car and break down the alternator's power, and you will see.
In my Acura, it comes with 75A, and if I subtract all the power hungry items, it leaves me with 20A the most.
You can install a 800w amp and still operate without dimming lights. It however, doesn't mean the amp is putting out 800w rms. If you have a current tester, try it. If not, you can always replace the fuse near the battery with 30A fuse. If that fuse doesn't blow, then you know the amp is not getting much current."

I'm fully aware that you will never recieve full ouput from the amp in any normal daily application, however I was speaking in terms of the power ratings on an amplifer because i'm sure that's what he was wondering. (not the actual amount used during music)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4390
Okay, I was referring to the actual amount of power used.

Bronze Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 68
hey guys ive been researching alot about car audio but havent really heard alot about alternators. im going to be putting 2 W3's or 2 SEs in the back of my 3000Gt shortly so thats either 600 or 1200 WRMS combined. does that mean i should get a new alternator. how much do they cost, whats the effects of getting a new one, and whats the disadvantage or not getting a new one?

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 64
Actually, to add my two cents in here, I'm running a 900 watt RMS system, and my light don't dim at all...

I volt metered at my battery and the amps, and with the car on, but idling, I was getting 13.5 volts with the system on a great listening volume.

Of course, I have a stock 130 amp alt, and I am probably only listening to it at half volume, but it still holds pretty well, and sounds really loud considering.

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Don't buy a H.O. alt before you know you need it. If you're getting dimming lights and voltage drops..then it's time to upgrade. Alternator costs vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and by size. Advantages of getting one is keeping your car running. Disadvantages of not getting one when needed is finding yourself walking to work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4395
Look at HO alternator as a good investment. There are no disadvantages besides the extra cost and labour.
However, there is a big upside. With HO alternator, not only will you have more power to use, you can attach lot of extra accessories such as power inverter, extra bright spot lights for off road use, internal tv, gps etc.
A typical HO will cost $150-$300. A stock alternator costs $60-$100. As you can see, it's not a hugh difference in cost. It is almost within the price of yellowtop battery and a capacitor.
If you can, I'd upgrade the alternator and the big 3 wires.
But than that's just me. I have lot of accessories in my car.

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 67
^^ Actually, the above is not entirely true..

While a new alternator will most defintely give you more room to run different accessories, there are disadvantages..

With a HO alternator, you can possibly lose horsepower, as well as worsen your gas mileage.

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

^ ^ That link was posted by Glasswolf, and states exactly what I just said...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 479
I run an aftermarket HU, an Alpine 350 amp (350rmsX1) and can drive around with lights on, wipers, etc. with no dimming of the lights.

Bronze Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 70
hey i got a question... my lights had always been him, so i bought new super white headlights or w/e, installed them, and their a tad bit brighter but their no where near as bright as normal. my car usually runs with like 12.8-13.4 volts... i read somewhere that the car should run at about 14.4 or something... what does that do and how can i fix it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us