Building a box

Bronze Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 61
im going to have to build my own box since no premade box fits in the trunk of my 3000, already been around and tried, and ppl said i could get a custom one made for like 500 bucks, but f that. i can get all the mdf plywood i want for free, so im going to make my own. since ive never made one before, im going to get some friends who know what their doing, but i want to know somewhat so they dont f it up. if i was going to use 2 10's, i know that i have to match the box volume, which is fine, but what about everything else. ported, sealed, other stuff about the box that would be helpful to know before we start building :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 793
That would be too much info to type to u - type ' box building' on www.google.com Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 408
Good luck !

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 899
http://jdesigns.servehttp.com/files/winisdalpha.exe

Download that program and read the tutorial. I'll explain a lot to you.

And are you going for SPL, SQ, or SQL?

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 62
ok well im reading a bunch of stuff about box building and it should be sufficient, but just one real quick question... 3/4" MDF or 1" MDF?

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 63
im going for for mainly SQ, but a little bit of loudness... im 75% sure im getting 2 10W3v2s... still contenplating the SE's tho

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 64
also another question along with if 1" or 3/4" is better, should i double board the front like something i just read said, ive never heard of that before so i was curious if i should do 2 boards in the front or just one. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 585
well that depends, how are you bracing it or holding it together? More wood and thicker wood increases the weight but will result in a better box if done correctly. If it were me, I'd do the box 3/4" and the baffle (front panel) with 1" Also, you'll want to partition the 2 halves of of the box. That will provide much needed bracing as well as offer protection of your subs incase one of them stops hitting for whatever reason. I don't know how much your friends know about woodworking, but for some general tips you may not have thought of: glue holds the box together, but screws and clamps are just as necessary for construction. My choice of glue is tightbond III and for screws use 2" or 3" drywall screws. Pre-drill with 2 different sized drill bits and countersink before screwing. Finlly and critically, make sure the wood you're using is square. Most of the time it won't be because they cut it for you at the lumber yard. You'll either need to move it out in 8x4 ft. sheets or use a tool called a square in combination with a table saw to get it back to square once you get to your workspace. If you do not have a square, buy one. I don't mean a speed square or a combination square, but a gigantic square, the biggest one you can find at the store. The square I use is a big L-shaped ruler thats is about 2 feet long on each side of the L. Best of luck

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 927
matt if you need designs send me an email at sploosh76@yahoo.com

They're $10 and tell you everything you will need to know on how to build your box.

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 65
thanks scuba, i know what a square is, my dads a manager at a lumber yard and i worked there full time over the summer loading stocking and delivering lumber so im not worried about the cutting and drilling of the box, just more of the shape, because its not going to be square, its going to be more of an /_| shaped box because its the only thing that will fit in my 3000 with the hatch, so i just gotta worry about getting the right box volume etc. now i read on another post something about a new alternator, if i was getting 2 W3's or 2 SEs which are 600 and 1200 RMS combined, does that mean i need a new alternator too since someone said that you need to upgrade it after 200WRMS?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 596
ahh, its good to hear you know your way around a lumber yard. Sorry I assumed you didn't, its just that the vast majority of people who attempt to build boxes don't. As for the wedge shape, it takes a bit more planning but that doesn't mean it won't come out right for you. Write out your plan down to the last detail and mathematically calculate all the angles you'll have to cut. There's no reason it can't fit together this well:

http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn00239mp.jpg

thats without glue, screws or clamps, just the weight of the wood.

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 66
thats nice, basically what im trying to figure out is that when i see some other boxes they have big holes in them and stuff, so other than the wood, what do i need to do to the box in order to make sure it has good sound other than match box volumes

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 67
and when i say big holes i obviously mean holes other than that for the sub

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4389
Subs weighing in over 40lbs will need 1" mdf or thicker for support. If all you have is 3/4" mdf, then double it up at the front for 1.5" total.
Measure everything twice and cut once.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4392
The "holes" are used for tuning the box's frequency. You can't just slap on a big hole and expect SQ.
Go to www.bcae1.com and read up on basic box configuration. It'll tell you what port size you need for the box. The larger "hole" will give you less wind noise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us