14 volts

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 67
I hear that if u send 14 volts to an amp it will perform better, is this true and how do u get 14 volts into your system? Anyone know? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1750
Yes, it will perform better. Most alternators already put out about 13.8v as it is.

If the alt isn't putting out 13.8v, sometimes there is a voltage regulator near the amp that you can adjust accordingly. However, most (if not all) of the new alts have the regulator located inside of the alt.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 122
Add a cap.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 701
"Add a cap."

The stupidest answer to that question. A cap will not help steve. If your voltage is dipping too low, like 12v and under, you'll need a HO alt for the voltage and current you need.

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 71
Yeah Isaac, when i crank it up the head lights dim bad.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 704
Steve, that is a really bad sign, you need to keep the volume low until you get a HO alt, there is no other solution to your problem. You could be damaging your amp and your subs, be careful.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 783
To me i read somewhere if the car's engine is off then only 12 volts is available but when the engine is running @ above 1500/2000 rpms then the voltage automatically goes up to 13.8 volts ....

Some amp manufacturers catch ppl by listed a higher wrms & in small writing u will see thats only when the amp gets 14 volts ....

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 909
I rebuild my alternators. It's all in the voltage regulator for the voltage. I run 14.7v @ 1,000rpm, with a 160 amp stator. But stupid me, I forgot to get new brushes, so I need to get on that...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us