2 choices

Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 3
Which is better for sql?

1.2 12 inch kicker cvrs powered by a mtx 800 watts rms mono amp.

2.2 12 inch alpine type rs powered by a alpine 1000 watts rms mono amp.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1543
the 2nd one, simply b/c i like Alpine subs better, and the 2nd has 200wRMS more going to it.
thirdly, i think the Type R's sound better, AND they have more SQ than the CVR's imo, and you asked which is better SQL, not SPL.:-O

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 4
so are you saying that the cvrs would be louder?

and i was kind of worried about my alternator with 1000 watts rms.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1544
yeah, you'll need an alt either way.
i am sure the type r's will be louder than the cvr's and will sound better.

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 5
WHAT!!!!!

i dont want to buy a new alternator.How many watts can i have without getting a new alternator?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1549
here we go again!!!! lol

your alt has "x" amount of amps
your car will generally use almost all of the alt.'s amps.(i would say 60%-90%)
the remaining can be used for your amplifiers. which could be anywhere from 10A to 30A.
but if you go by the general rule that for every 100 watts of power your amplifier produces, it pulls 10A of current.
so if you have a 1000wRMS system, then your amps will need roughly 100A of current.
most new cars Alternators don't even produce that much, let alone still have enough to run aftermarket amplifiers.
so use that rule of thumb to determine how many amps your new alternator(which you should get) will put out.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 39
It depends alot on what kind of car u have. I thought i was going to have to get a new alternator (i have a mercury mountaineer)but it has a 180 amp already. So u might want to find what kind of alternator you have before anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 40
ok its a 150 amp...sorry i was looking at a different model car my bad

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1552
just b/c you have a big alt, doesn't necessarily mean that you don't need a bigger one.
you amplifiers don't get all 180 amps from your alt. it gets some of them, but the rest is used from your car's electrical system, engine, etc.

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 6
but i wont have the volume up all way all the time infact it will probably be below half most of the time then i think 800 watts would be ok right?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4813
Do you drive a Honda car, or is your name applying to their dirtbikes or something? Assuming you do drive a Honda, they aren't generous as far as giving you alternator reserve. Take your amplifier's fuse rating, add that to the current your stock alt. puts out, and that's nearly what you need for any Honda.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1553
yeah, you should be okay, as long as you don't go blasting at full volume everyt time you get in your car, and leave it blaring while you run into the jiffy store(my friend does that) lol

but getting a HO alternator is the ideal thing to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us