Bridging 8 0mh subwoofer

Username: Mmmg

Post Number: 10
Hi, Sorry for the long post
I need some advice in upgrading my audio system. What will happen if i bridge an 8 ohm subwoofer. Let us say the amp provides 100 wrms@4ohm...so if i bridge 8ohm sub to this channel will the subwoofer be driven at 200 wrms. I have a cheap quality 4 channel amp made by power acoustik. I want to upgrademy system..so i want to buy a new amp. My budget is limited to $150-$200. So i want to use the present amp and a new amp. I heard some ppl bridging the channels to connect component speakers. But i gues bridged channel provides a mono signal which is useless for a component speaker. Is it so..I have two plans. One is bridge the two 8ohm subwoofer i have to the existing 4 channel amp using all the channels. the amp says it provides 100 wrms@4 ohm and 125 wrms@2 ohm. So if i bridge 8ohm i guess i will be providing 200 wrms to each sub.And buy a two channel amp for the fron speakers. Second option is connecting the subwoofers to a new 2 channel amp and use the old amp to power speakers(using just two channels among 4 channels). Or else get a new 4 channel amp and dump the old one..Most ppl will say that i shuld just dump the old one but my budget is limited so i cannot get a good 4 channel amp for that budget.. and i dont want to waste my old amp.
plz give me some best options..thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1749
You shouldn't bridge all four channels together. The amp can only handle two seperate bridgings of the four channels at the most.

The amp provides 100w rms @4ohms to how many channels? One? Then it should double the power to 200w rms with an 8 ohm speaker.

I'm guessing the new amp you want to buy is for your component speakers? Hmm. What are the power ratings (in rms value) of your component speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i am not using all 4 channels together. Bridging them separately...so r u sure it will provide 200 w rms for these 8 ohm subs..my components are 90w rms cdt cl61a components. which 2 channel amp is good.
do u suggest me to get a two channel amp for components...or connect subs to new amp and use old amp for components...thanks

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1753
I would suggest you use a new amp for your components...especially seeing as they are CDT.

My suggestions for amps?
Rockford Fosgate P3002 or P5002 (My first suggestions)
Alpine MRV-T320
MTX Thunder342, though I think the Alpines have the edge over the MTX amps in this price range.

An Infinity Reference 7520a would work as well, but I don't care for Infinity's amps much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i have looked at the amps u have specified....u said u prefer alpine over mtx...but alpine just provides 50X2@4 ohms-12V. Dont u think its too less for the speakers. I dont know..if thats a good output for an alpine.. MTX rms ratings look good but i dont which one is good among them. i heard that new RF amps are not so good as old school RF amps...is it so

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
How about this amplifier.......orion 3002. ...http://cgi.ebay.com/ORION-3002-2-Channel-Amplifier-300W-RMS-2Ch-Car-Amp-NEW_W0QQ itemZ5812298674QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem..... Is this a better amp than RF.. Coming to my old amp So can i bridge an 8 ohm suwoofer over two channels and get double the power it produces at 4ohm stereo to the sub.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1758
The newer RF's aren't as good, true, but are still better than the other amps I listed...unless you would prefer to buy an older one.

I haven't had enough experience with Orion...hopefully someone else can make a suggestion. Though to me, that would be a good option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us