Amp/sub

Username: Trevorl

San mateo, CA United states

Post Number: 1
I just got a 12' kicker l5 (4ohms) and a audiobahn a8000t. How should i plan on hooking this system and will it be providing plenty of power.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 282
If it's DVC, wire the voice coils on the sub in parallel, for a 2 ohm load. If it's not DVC, well, you'll only get it down to 4 ohms, and that amp is 400W RMS at 4 ohms. Hopefully you bought the DVC model, as 400W RMS isn't enough continuous power, being the 12" L5 is 600W RMS.

Here's the thing, it will power the sub, you could power the sub with 1W, but you'll never get that subs maximum continuous power, withouth driving the amp into clipping, unless you get an amp rated at 600W RMS @ either 2 or 4 ohms depending on your sub's voice coil arrangements.

Quick question, the A8000T is one of Audiobahn's slightly older models. Did Circuit City sell you that combination? If so, I'd go back, and complain, as the A8000T is a fine amp for it's price, BUT, it's not enough power if your sub is 4 ohms SVC, and they SHOULD KNOW THAT! If it's DVC, don't complain, but if it is, take the amp back, complain, get your money back, and demand a discount, as I'm sick of seeing Circuit City trying to "push" products out of the store by selling less knowledgeable people products that don't match accurately!

Ok, I've had my fun, but in all seriousness, I don't know what you paid for that amp, but I got mine off of Ebay for $115 brand new in the box with the 1 year warranty. Just FYI.

Username: Trevorl

San mateo, CA United states

Post Number: 2
actually what happened was i ordered kicker l5 2ohms but the gave me the 4 ohm model so i was jus trying to figure out if i was going to need to return it. Is the 2 ohm model going to work out with the amp that i have. What is a DVC model.. Thanx for replying

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 294
DVC = Dual Voice Coil, SVC = Single Voice Coil. A 2 ohm version should work. Just wire it up! Nothing fancy to do with that one. Connect the + on the sub to the + on the amp and the same for the -.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us