Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 236
?? like 2.5 cubic feet?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 387
Sealed boxes will generally losen the air pressure inside, thus slowing down the woofer, thus reproducing a lower frequency. However after a certain point, it will become sloppy uncontrolled, and sound like trash. It all depends what your drivers specs are. Some speakers are suited for Vented enclosures, some are for sealed, and some fall right in between. Look into how enclosures are determined, designed, and built.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 388
"Sealed boxes will generally losen the air pressure inside"

I meant to say;

When a sealed box is made bigger compared to a smaller box, the air presure will loosen.

Anonymous

when your makin a box n you gotta screw the sides together, wont the split? when i was makin my box when i did, it kept on splittin. does this ever happen to anyone else?

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 732
Nevr happens if u pre-drill & make sure u drill in the middle .

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 237
Im gunna port the box but wow... the Home Depot near me that i just got some wood from cut wood for me and thats cool and everything, but cut it so when the walls stand up they lean to the side a little so i guess their saw is off. This box probably wont turn out good. :-(

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 735
Don't sweat it - happened to all of us b4 .
Sometimes sh!t happens & it can't be help -lol . Carpet hides small defects .

If u got all the tools (& skills) like master carpenter Norm Abram on PBS new yankee workshop/this old house - only then stuff just might come out perfect ..lol Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4806
"If u got all the tools (& skills) like master carpenter Norm Abram on PBS new yankee workshop/this old house"

The New Yankee Workshop:

"We are going to create a ported enclosure for a JL Audio W6v2 subwoofer. But before we get started, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the instructions that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your tools safely will greatly reduce the risk of injury. And remember: there's no more important safety rule than to wear these: safety glasses. So with that in mind, let's get started on today's project." *walks into the shop, which contains more tools than an average 200 person manufacturing company*

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3735
That would be one episode I'd actually watch.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 739
LOL - Jonathan , OK - so u are a fan too !

Man i love that show , i've learnt so much off it that ppl asked how i figured out how to some stuff . I never used to miss an episode once i was around .

All those home improvement shows on TLC , Discovery & PBS are so beneficial that the principles help when building subwoofer boxes or carpentry in general .

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4807
Yeah, I bet Norm would use Dovetails on the corners, Dados for bracing, and Lock Miter joints on the top to side pieces.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 887
All you really need is a table saw, and a router (for really nice boxes, rabbit jointed) and some time/effort... But I know my first attempts were pretty crappy. Never used carpet though, tried it once, gave up and scrapped the whole idea. Now I paint 'em black. Much easier!

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 306
I've heard someone, somewhere mention something about doubling up on the MDF (either in front or back of box - can't remember). What the hell would that do? Something good or something... simply pointless?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 748
I read something about it somewhere too . Its said that doing that will help stiffen up the box considerably & reduce vibration especially if its a very powerful & heavy sub .

Whenever i'm building my next box i wanna try that & i'm also gonna use 1" on the sides as well ! Upload

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 390
Watching Norm Abram is like watching the A-Team. Seems everything comes together perfect.

I wonder what Norm Abram says when he mises the nail and slams his thumb...lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us