Alpine type r subs in a small coupe

Anonymous

hi, I'm very new to car audio and wanted to know if i should get two alpine 12" type R 4 OHM or 2 OHM subs in my nissan 200sx. What's the difference? I know it takes more to power the 4 OHM's but as far as SQ goes what would be the better buy and would an Alpine MRD-M1005 V12 Digital Mono Amplifier be enough power for the two of these 4 or 2 OHM?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1454
it does not take more to power the 4 ohms, but you will get more power for the 4 ohms, b/c you will wire them down to 1 ohm.:-)

ohms are a measure of impedance(resistance) you can manipulate the resistance by wiring the voice coils in series or parallel.

you choose what ohm you want your VC's to be so you can wire them up to your amp to get the correct RMS power you want to give them.

Anonymous

oh ok, thanks a lot muddywaters so would that amp match up with the 4 OHM's or the 2 OHM's better

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 235
If I'm not mistaken, the MRD-M1005 is only 2 ohm stable. If that's the case, then you need the DVC 2 ohm subs. You'll need to wire them in series/parallel for a 2ohm load on your amp.

Check the specs on that amp to be sure it's not stable below 2 ohms.

200sx
Unregistered guest
i'm still a bit confused, so getting the 2 ohm subs and the MRD-M1005 will still give me the same sq and spl of the 4 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1526
you cant get the DVC 4 ohm subs, b/c if you do you will wire them down to 1 ohm, and your amp isn't stable at 1 ohm.

so you need to get the DVC 2 ohm subs, and then you can wire them to 2 ohms on your amp so you can get the maximum power for your subs w/o running your amp into an ohm load it isn't stable at(it will burn up).

use this website to get visuals
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us