Decent 10's for a single cab truck

Bronze Member
Username: Borked

Post Number: 36
Hello I found these at cc http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=120858&com.broadvision.sessi on.new=Yes&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&BV_UseBVCookie=No

Now they have l5's and l7's but from what I read here, I should stay away from any subwoofer that is NOT round. For quality purposes, and relability.

So the CVR is in a vented box built to kicker specs. Would this be a better way to go? I'm looking for nice sq and decent spl(my old system was 2 550watt audiobahns in a bandpass box) but I don't expect it to hit like that. However since it's a single cab truck, I imagine 2 10's directly behind me will be very loud.

Someone reccommended me the IDQ 10's. However for my 800watt mono amp I think it'd be too much for them. I read that they have bad suspension noise when pushed beyon 300watts. However I was thinking if that's not true, I'd pay the extra cash for these quality subs and throw them in some prefab sealed enclosures from my local audio shop.

Im just not sure which is a better way to go. Is the difference gonna be worth it? The cost will be the same for either set. I seem to think if the kicker's are in a box that is built to spec and vented they would perform and sound better with the power i'd give them, then the idqs. Please correct me if im wrong.

Also do 10's naturally not go as low(hz wise) as 12's. Is this what rolloff is?

And Go ahead and throw any other reccommendations out there, for some good small 10's. Spending range is prolly about $400 for 2 10's and box(es)
Source of information on the IDQ was http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/speakers/idq10.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I dunno if this helps but, They'll be hooking up to my Alpine-CDA9827, then I'll be putting in a component (6.5")set, powered by an amp, all to be figured out later after the subs are dealt with.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1428
suspension noise?

maybe if they were reverse mounted in a fiberglass enclosure in your backseat(which you don't have) where the woofer would be within a foot or two from your ear, but otherwise, how would you hear suspension noise in a sealed box, while playing your system loudly?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1431
"While it is capable of fairly decent SPL, it is not made for this application, as evidenced by its relatively low power rating of 250 watts RMS (as compared to many of the monsters out nowadays). "

sounds to me like a newb.
he also states that he powered them with 900wRMS mono amp. if indeed he had two(total of 500wRMS according to his rating of each subs RMS rating) i would begin to suspect the speaker to blow apart!!! not suspension noise. lol

he is also feeding them all this power in a sealed enclosure(not known for its ability to control subs like a ported). i think this guy is trying to sound smarter than he is. just my 2 cents.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
hmm appreciate the 2 cents, any reccomendations tho? there's just so many ways to go. I mean a small 10" versatile(cant afford custom box) sub basically, is what im looking for. Im kinda tall so 8's crossed my mind but 8's won't hit as low as 10's or 12's i believe.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1432
very true. but don't let the fact that a 12" hitting lower than a 10" sway you from the fact that a ten can hit extremely low, just not as effective or as loud as a speaker with a bigger cone and bigger boundaries(Xmax-not the most accurate rating, Fs-frequency at which the sub changes impedance if i'm not mistaken, Vas-displacement).:-O

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1433
"suspension noise?

maybe if they were reverse mounted in a fiberglass enclosure in your backseat(which you don't have) where the woofer would be within a foot or two from your ear, but otherwise, how would you hear suspension noise in a sealed box, while playing your system loudly?"

found the answer to my question, he gave a 250wRMS sub 450wRMS in a sealed enclosure......DUH!!!

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 486
the cvr's will probally have more spl than the idq's but the idq's will have better sq. you might try looking into RE se subs but i think thier rms is 600 but i could be wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us