Inverted Woofers

Username: Jamesw

Post Number: 1
Can anyone give some beneficial information on why you see inverted woofers on professional installs????

Thanks.

JamesW
2001 Dodge Neon R/T
2 JL 12W6v2's powered by 2 JL 500/1's

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1786
looks.
that's it.
no difference to sound.
the only thing inverting affects is the displacement of the driver for the enclosure volume.

Username: Peerpride

Hacienda Heights, California United States

Post Number: 1
On a side note, when measuring the volume of an enclosure, do you include the volume of the speaker or exclude it?

If the volume measurement of a box is WITH the speaker in wouldn't a more accurate measurement of volume be obtained by inverting the speaker?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. It's the simple ones that always get me.

- PeerPride

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 20
volume of a box without the sub is the gross volume...

volume of a box minus the displacement of the sub (and minus any port or vent) is net volume.

if you use a vented or ported box you NEED to use the net volume of a box.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1861
when stats say, for example, 2cu ft for a speaker box, that's 2cu ft after you add in the displacement of the speaker, and if the box is ported, the volume of the port)s_ as well.
I mentioned that above, when I said inverting the subs will affect the enclosure volume.
This is the reason driver displacement is given in the T-S specs of a speaker when you buy it for calculating the enclosure.
If you want a 2cu ft box, and you just build it straight as 2'x1'x1' then slap the sub into the box, your actual volume winds up being closer to 1.7cu ft, which will affect performanec of the sub, and in the case of a vented box, also affect the tuned frequency of the port(s).
If you have ports, you also need to subtract the volume (of a cylinder for a round port) from the enclosure's gross volume when measuring.

Username: Peerpride

Hacienda Heights, California United States

Post Number: 2
In that case, what is the abbreviation in the speakers stats that represents the driver's displacement?

By the way I appreciate both of your replies. I'd be lost without these forums!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1893
usually just listed as "driver displacement"

http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=26.topic
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us