2ohm ? 4ohm ?

Username: Mindgame

Post Number: 1
hi, i recently just bought 2 15" kicker l7's, and they by mistake i got 4ohm subs.

i was just wondering what the difference between a 2ohm sub and a 4ohm sub is, all i know is that they are wired differently for a different type of system.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2948
It just depends on how it is wired, so you can get different amounts of power from you're amp.
An amp might put out 250 watts rms at 4 ohms, then at 2 ohms it will put out 500 watts rms, then if the amp is 1 ohm stable, it will push 1000 watts rms at 1 ohm.

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
I thought its better to have a more Ohm sub isnt it?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2967
Ohms just works with the amp, it doesn't have anything to do with the way a subs sounds or anything.

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
SO it is better for me to get a 2ohm sub instead of a 4ohm sub since my amp would push more watts since its a 2ohm and wouldnt if it was 4ohms?

Username: Scott_t

Post Number: 1
hi, i am new to this and dont know alot about this stuff but i want to put 3 alpine 12"R class subs in my car but do i go with a 2-ohm sub or a 4 ohm sub to go along with the alpine mrd-m1005 amp or is there a better amp(s)i should go with to get the most out of my subs?

Post Number: 4
i have changed my mind and i am going with x class subs.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1665
"SO it is better for me to get a 2ohm sub instead of a 4ohm sub since my amp would push more watts since its a 2ohm and wouldnt if it was 4ohms?"

a DVC 2 ohm sub can be wired down to 1 ohm on your amp, so yes you will be able to give more power to a DVC 2 ohm sub.

but, if you have 2 subs, you will need DVC 4 ohm to wire it down to 1 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 960
there actually is a difference in 2 ohm or 4 ohm VCs. some of the specifications are slightly different. one may be more efficient over the other. but its a slight difference. if youve noticed RE doesnt put out specs on the MT because there are so many different VC configurations and they have all different specs.

and scott... if you have 3 subs you will come out to a weird ohm load. ex like 2.67 isnt a regular ohm load. also. a 1000w alpine amp is not anough for 3 type X subs. try the type Rs and either get 2 of them or 4 ad 2 1000w amps. or of course 2 type x's and 2 1000 w amps

the type X is 1000w rms right?

Post Number: 5
yes 1000w rms 3000w peak and could u give me an ide on what amp to go with for the 2 x class subs? pref a 2 channel so i dont need to go with 2 amps. i was thinking legicy 2400w 2 channel because its cheep but alot of people said dont get it bacause its crap so any sugestions would be helpfull.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 861
A 2 channel amp pushing 1000wrms into each channel will be EXPENSIVE so too a mono amp pushing that say a Kicker 2500 would be around $800 ,a Orion 2500 $750 or http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=168
$920.

Amp price alone might lead u to pick a lower series/rms of subs - lol

Post Number: 6
wow umm well lets say if i was to drop to r class subs..what is the sound change in them over the x class? and what amp would u say i should go for if i was to go r class.

Post Number: 7
lol i still get over the price on that amp u linked $900+ for a amp jeez. i think ill just go with r class who can even handel hearing a 1000w sub when thay are in there car anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1722
i can. and i love it.
i can handle 4000wRMS in a hatchback.
and i love that even more.:-O:-O:-O

Post Number: 8
u will go deff befor long.but even so is the sound quality still cleer? that is realy what i am going for..get it as loud as i can but still keep it cleer and still beable to hear myself think.

Post Number: 9
anyways what amp woud u say i should go with for 2x R class 500wrms 1500peak 2-ohm subs

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 872
Just don't look @ ZAPCO on that site cause u'd get a fricking heart attack !!!! - lol

R class - this right http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14954

Well thats easy to get an amp for & if u are on a tight budget then http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14799

reason i chose the 1500wrms model according to what Glass said in 1 of his post that its actually been bench tested & puts out around 1000 wrms - so that'll suit u fine .

BTW - 500wrms/sub is pretty loud for most ppl so no worries about that ......

Post Number: 10
so i should beable to put 2 12" to that amp n be okay of thay are 2 ohm subs and pick up another amp later and put 1000w into 1 sub? i think i am catching on..i am new to this stuff.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 876
No i think u r getting mixed up - u chose stuff based on WRMS not max .

The sub in that link is a DVC 4 ohms sub with 2 subs u wire em like this resulting in a 1 ohm load ...Upload
So 2 of those same subs (in a ported box) & 1 of that amp & u r good 2 go ........

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 877
"u chose stuff based on WRMS not max" -
should have been typed out - u have to choose stuff based on WRMS & NOT Max ratings .....

Also i might add u choose subs based on what ohm configuration that your amp can push ......

CARAUDIO
Unregistered guest
I have a 2000 watt max peak on both subs combiend a 500RMS raiting on each so i went safe with a 1200 watt amp about 600RMS i didnt wana push it to the point where i over did anything now looking back 800RMS woulda been nice tho lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
hehe i am in a electronics class atm we r starting to get into this stuff so i decided i want a system in my car thats how all this came about. anyways so i need 2 4-ohm subs and hook them in parallel to make th amp see a 1 ohm load?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 881
Yep,thats right - Scott .

It gets pretty easy when u follow sites like this

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
cool thx for the help on this stuff..if i got any more questions i know who to ask :-). thx again and cya later.

oh and i got that site bookmarked so i can refer to it when i am hookign the stuff up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us