DC Powersupply to run off AC current question

Username: Ww_dagger

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a Rockford Fosgate MS2125 Amp and a pair of JL Audio 15" W6 subs. I want to run them in my house off AC current. I've been looking at using this DC powersupply
http://www.audioclubhouse.com/proddetail.php?prod=PS52KX
Will this suffice? Or will I need a capacitor? A more powerfull PS? Comments pls?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4353
PYRAMID in Audio is $hit quality, but the seem to do well in ps. Maybe it's a different division/company.
That model should be alright for home use/testing.
If you need more power, the car battery starter/charger can easily work just as well. In fact, it should be cheaper and give more power. My charger is 65A continous and cost around $125 US.

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 2
So your saying I should just grab myself a car battery and a charger for it and that will replace the DC Powersupply? Does that charger run off of AC power then?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4357
You don't need a car battery, but if you plan on using it often, a deepcycle wouldn't hurt.
A heavy duty car starter/charger will give 200A - 225A and 65A continuous. This is enough to power most amps.
If you are planning to get a battery, have a look at Yellowtop. It doesn't emit gases.
The charger runs off ac.

Bronze Member
Username: Biteworms

Clearwater, Florida United States

Post Number: 23
Definately go with the charger (just make sure it's a STARTER/CHARGER, not just a CHARGER). They will have a tendency to burn out when using them in your application, but they're cheap enough to make it worth replacing. They're also helpful if you have a tendency for leaving your headlights on all night (d'oh!)

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 3
I found a DC power supply that just might do the trick. It's an Astron with variable voltage, 70 amp peak, 57 amp continuous, with volt and amp meters. What do you think? The Pheonix Gold website says my MS2125 amp running at maximum non distorted volume can draw 65 amps cont. and 100amps peak... This supply is just shy of that. Opinions??

Gold Member

Post Number: 4361
Sounds like a good ps. If the price is within reason, go for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10504
let me know if ya catch the house on fire.. be sure to post pictures

Gold Member

Post Number: 4369
GlassWolf, that's assuming the camera isn't in the house.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10510
damn you and your logic, man!

actually that power supply should be fine.. I meant if he tried to use a battery and a battery charger.. great way to have an accident and set off sparks that set a carpet on fire or something..
all it takes is a careless dog or a cat, or a shoe tripping over a cord.

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 5
I've found power supplies that are "Linear" and "Switching". I don't understand the difference. Which of these would I need, or would eaither work? This is the linear supply I found:

http://store.solar-electric.com/iotdl12volba.html

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10520
you need a regulated switching AC to DC power supply, and go by the continuous current ratings, not peak when picking out the one you want.
peak doesn't matter with an amplifier.. you need to know how much current the supply can give all the time.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10521
and learn to use google. it's your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=linear+versus+switching+power +supply&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us