Input sensitivity

duckman996
Unregistered guest
Why is it that the input sensitivity on some amps is given as a single value(200mv), while on other amps it is given as a range of values(0.10-8.0)? I just purchased a Pioneer DEH-P860MP which has max output voltage of 6.5, do I need to specifically look for an amp with a stated input sensitivity range that can accomodate the 6.5, or do you simply adjust the gain to reduce the input?

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 68
I've got the same HU.

The amp i'm using is an alpine mrv-f545. It's designed for 0-4V input.

For the front set, the amp is set to its minimal sensitivity setting of 4V. Even with this, the fronts sound somewhat loud at a lower # on the volume control. Using the function of the HU, I've shifted the front level down 10 points (-10 in the front level for hp setting).

The other 2 channels of the amp are bridged driving a single 10" sub (500w rms). Now with this speaker in order to get the bass level I wanted, I had to turn the sensitivity down a bit to ~ 2V.

My rear speakers are being driven by another amp with a 0-2V range. This amp has no digital readout, but I'd guess to say its ~1.3V or so.

To answer your question, even though this HU puts out 6.5V, it gives you enough adjustability to use with amp that only support to 2 or 4V.

Google the term 'gain overlap' also.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10474
when input sens it stated as a single number, that's the actual voltage required for the input stage of the amp, after it's attenuated by the input sens. knob on the side of the amp.
when the spec is stated as a range, that's the acceptable range for line input voltage from the head unit prior to attenuation (before setting the gain.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us