Glass.. amps that run warm ok?

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 115
I know with amps, 100% efficiency is king.
My amp, which states 150wx2 at 2 ohms, and the two speakers, each rated 150w rms that this amp is connected to, are not very loud, but the amp gets pretty warm, almost hot. If I turn the gain down a bit, the amp will be cooler but the sound is very low to the point where my rear oem speakers running straight off the 60wx4 hu overpower the front speakers' sound...
How can my two rear speakers that are hugely underpowered when compared to my two front speakers that are being fed 150w apiece overpower them? And, just to even the sound beween front and rear, I must turn the gain on the amp up to the point where it gets really warm...is this natural? it is a ppi amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 67
Your fronts don't get loud enough because you're not driving your amp sufficiently.

When you turn the INPUT SENSITIVITY down, you are doing just that. It will require more voltage from the HU in the waveform to achieve maximum output.

Amps are inefficient devices. A class AB amp (typical for most full range amps) is ~63% efficient. The other remaining 37% get dissipated as heat and other losses (beyond the scope of this thread).

If the amp has a fan, when it gets too hot, the fan will turn on. Amp with no fans typically have other thermal protection, and will typically shut off after a particular thermal threshold is reached.

Are your speakers 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10476
you're using a class AB amplifier. it's only about 50% efficient.
It's going to get hot.. amplifiers always do.

set the gain appropriately for your line voltage instead of dinking with the setting like a volume knob.
that's a great way to damage teh amplifier and the speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
both speakers are 2 ohm. ya Glass I know! That is why I asked just want them to run safely. I am not made of money nor have a tree in my backyard lol.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4354
So that's where you keep the money?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Issac, huh? no I keep my money close though..very close. but I don't have enough to keep spending on car audio at the moment..

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10500
nobody said car audio was a cheap hobby.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
geeze... burn me why dontcha lol..
ya no kidding? car audio isn't a cheap hobby? I guess that I'll need to switch back to RC Cars then

=)

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10523
that's a cheaper hobby.. but not by much.

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 113
Just collect stamps

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10534
or beanie babies
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums