Subs In Convertible????

Bronze Member
Username: 2loud4u

Boca Raton, FL U.S

Post Number: 41
Hey I plan on putting my mt in the trunk of my 1999 jaguar xk8. I am just wondering from personal experience how subs sound in convertibles. Also is there anything I can do do get better sound. Besides Dynamat. All input is appriciated.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2908
Never heard one, but I'm guessing it won't hit as deep. The lower frequencies need to bounce, and sense theres not a cab for them to reflect off of... worse sound. My boat is that way at least... but the upper frequencies are really easily felt in the chest.:-) You shouldn't have a problem with that either, sense you're using a MT.:-)
I'd def try to face the sub against something though, so the sound can reflect off something... just an idea.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 903
You won't have that much bass at all if your trunk is sealed off from the cabin like most convertables.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2929
Hmmm, that could be a problem as well.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 298
I'm going through the same dilema...
In my 2000 mustang, the sub in the trunk hits really nice (in the car only). Outside, it's not even loud except for the vibration. Plus, when I put the top down, it muffles the sound by what seems like 50% - that's a big difference. I hate it! So, I put in on the floorboard of the passenger side front seat. Facing the engine or facing up... in my opinion, I think the bass kinda resonates a little up under the glove box that way. KINDA like a trunk. lol
Anyway, in the front... my sub gets like 3x louder than it was in the trunk, BUT the bass is totally put to shame compared to what the trunk can do for SPL. Actually, there's little to NO VIBRATION at all with the sub up front!
I've been contemplating the effects of putting one in the trunk (for that deep SPL) and another in the front (for the loudness, etc.) I suspect that there might be a problem with the sound waves canceling each other out, but I'm not too sure about that either. What do you guys think?
Will the subs cancel each other out, or will it be a good solution for the convertible?
I appreciate your guys' advise and thoughts.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 123
mine sounds really good. i have a jeep wrangler with the subs facing forward pressed against the back seat (infinity perfect 12.1 x's 2) sounds good inside and out with the top on or off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
My convertible's trunk is sealed off from the cab... so facing it to the back seat didn't sound all too much better. But thanks.
I was really, really curious about the "one in front, one in back" thing.
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 891
Put the box in the trunk, and fabricate the port so it enters the "cab" under the seat. I did an install in a BMW Z3, and it had two 12" Alpine Type-R's with a custom box built into the back seat in the "trunk", and we put a port under the seat directly from the box, and it sounded pretty damn good. But hard to tune considering the port was so long...

But maybe just a port into the cab, and just a normal box facing towards the back? Then you could "tune" the "port" that came from the trunk to the cab? Man, makes me want to go buy one so I can experiment...

(try google)

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Sounds like something I would f,u,c,k up! I suppose it's worth considering. But what about when it rains??? Then, if the trunk is no longer sealed properly, water could get into the trunk, then, the amp, then my WALLET! Am I overthinking? I really appreciate your input! How exactly DO you tune an enclosure anyway?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 401
something kinda related, what about subs in a car with all plastic body panels, like a Saturn?? hows that effect things??

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 894
If you have your top down, and it's raining, you have mental issues... I think that'd would be the last concern, the trunk getting wet. The interior/electrical would be my first concern...

And you tune it with width, height, and length of the port (total surface area).

Brandon: it does a bit. Little less sound being kept into the vehicle, but some sound deadening material will fix that.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 404
Thanks Jake, just wondering cuz i got a friend who is looking for some subs to go in a saturn. never heard a system in a plastic car before, lol

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1522
i have a plastic car(if you will) and it sounds great, i also have my trunk dynamatted, and that is the only problem area in my car

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 405
are you talking about the mitsubishi muddy?? i'm talking about a saturn, ion i think. all the body panels on it are plastic. not just the trim and bumpers on most cars now.

its just gonna be something entry level too, so hopefully it won't be that big a deal. she just wants some bass.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1531
yeah, your right....DUH!! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us