Whats a good free air sub

Username: Mus2t2bj

Savannah, Georgia United States

Post Number: 1
My sub went out the other day and I'm looking to buy a new one soon. I don't really know anything about audio equipment, I just want something loud. I had a Virtual Technologies Hammer Pro 10", Virtual Tech truck box, and 2500 Phoenix Gold amp 550 watts. From what people have told me I need a free air sub. I cant find any place that still carries virtual tech subs and I want to get something louder or atleast as loud as my virtual tech sub. I recently tried a Rockford Fosgate sub and it couldn't touch my old VT sub. Can anyone give me some advice on whats the loudest free air sub.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1791
you won't find any great freeair subs.
best bet is to get subs in a good box.
Look at Kicker Comp or CompVR series subs, in a ported box..
if you want loud, look at bandpass.
Avionixx has good, affordable amplifiers.
You'll want something in the 600 watt RMS range for two 12" subs, and you'llw ant each sub to be 4 Ohms for a mono sub amp.

Post Number: 2
Sorry i forgot to mention that I drive a truck and I'm not gonna buy a new box or amp, I just want a sub.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1811
can't do freeair subs in a truck. sorry.
you may want to look at a bazooka bass tube instead if space is a premium.

john jo
Unregistered guest
portland do great free air subs for trucks from 8" - 18", not quite as much SQ as JL's but the SPL is amazing ive heard them demo'd, il find there web address and post it on here for you.

Post Number: 3
the sub i had was free air

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1820
the way infinite baffle, or freeair subs work is by using teh trunk as the enclosure, having a very high EBR number for the sub(s).
This works by having the baffle board up against the front portion of the trunk, against the back seats, so that the space behind the subs is essentially separated from the airspace in front of the subs.
When you put them in a trunk, you don't have separate airspace for the back of teh sub, and you lose the effect for how they were designed.
Sure, you can do it in a truck, but it's not going to work out the way you hope.

Post Number: 4
well what should i use then, I went to another audio store today and they also said i needed a free air sub. I asked them about the Kicker Comp VR and they said they tried them in a VT box and they didn't last very long because the port is soo big.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1837
where were you? best buy?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us