Electrical question...

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 258
Yea, I got my car back from Ford and they said that my alternator is fine, and the battery just needed a charge, fine.

They also said that my car's alternator has plenty of power for my Audiobahn A8000T since it's only 60A /800W RMS. They MIGHT be right. The ONLY sign of a voltage drop is a slight dimming in the odometer section of the car. Actually, it's only the digital clock display that dims, and sometimes if they're running, the over head lights do slightly. I've gotten out and checked while idling, and the headlights don't dim at all!

What do you guys think, should I only get the H/O alt if I add an Audiobahn A6004T (for my door speakers)?

My friend has a Toyota...something lol, but it's a 6 cyl., with a similar engine I think. He has MAJOR dimming issues. In fact, his car wouldn't turn off the other night from his system, and his engine was smoking. I'm pretty sure it was his alternator.

I've not had problems like that, that's why I need to know if I need a new alt or not, because like I said, my dimming is hardly noticeable, and is non existant while driving.

If I do indeed have plenty of power for my current system, would adding a cap help/hurt in any way?

I know you guys get that all the time, but most people either have an H/O alt, or serious dimming, where mine is minimal, and probably non visible to the normal person, I just pay attention lol, after all it is my car! Some advice is gladly welcomed, thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1334
what is your factory alt rated at?

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Hehehe, I'm going to go find out right now!

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1336
hurry back!!!.....oh, i'm so excited!!j/k lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alternator-Ford-Mercury-Contour-Cougar-Mystique-9 8-02_W0QQitemZ8001006031QQcategoryZ33573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There it is. All 130A of it!

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1350
dang, i wish my car had a 130A alt.:-( lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Lol. I think it's because we chose the next best version of the Cougar to the Special Edition C2. Some of them came with 95-100A alternators, still, not half bad for stock.

That might explain why my friend and I have such varying dimming, me, almost non, him, looks like New York with a power surge!

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 855
LOL! I have a 160amp, bish :D! My friends waiting for them to get a HO for his 2001 Cougar with the 2.5L V6. God those things are slow as sh1t. My mom's Mercury Mystique with the 2.4L 4 banger stomps it... Yet again, I'm used to my muscle cars :P.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
WHAT? My 2.5L V6 SPORT lol, is pretty damn fast. And my I'm used to a 1992 5.0L V8 Mustang, that my mom drives when our car is in the shop, like now lol. That b*atch can move too. Your friend has a 2001 Cougar, that's why. The 2002 Models were Sports AND had more overall HP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us