Glass-setting my gain myself

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 109
Basically, all I need to do is match the head unit's rca output voltage to the amp's gain, correct?
Do you think can I use a voltmeter on the output rca's to determine their output voltages then just dial in the gain accordingly?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10449
yes to the first question, and if you want a way to set them using tools, check bcae1.com and jlaudio.com
both offer guides (several on bcae1) to setting gains in various ways.
see which fits your fancy best.. and use it :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
k thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 63
GW, what about this 1/3 overlap that's usually advised in the amp sensitivity setting.

That is, if HU puts out 4V at maximum peak (eq max'd out, volume max'd, etc..) then amp should be set to ~1.33V for normal operation.

This logic makes sense to me. The HU is rarely if ever putting out it's maximum voltage. By setting amp to 4V to match, moderate volume levels would not be achieved under normal circumstances.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
GPz110, if moderate volume levels would not be achieved under normal circumstances, then would they be lower or higher levels? lower right, because of the 1/3 octave or overlap?

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 64
If amp is 1:1 with HU (no overlap), then under normal circumstances, volume would be quieter, and it would not be possible to reach maximum volume.

I said nothing about octaves. Don't confuse yourself.

When amp is set at 1/3 the max volume of HU, a lower voltage is is required to achieve more amplification.

For example, at 1:1 (4V at amp matched to 4V of HU), lets say amp puts out 50% of its max when volume is at highest setting on HU (35 or 40 or whatever that # may be).

OTOH, when set to 1/3 (1.33V at amp), the amp is more sensitive, and would put out 100% of its max with volume at highest setting on HU.

These #'s are just abitrary, but should give you an idea.

Here's a link on the concept.

http://www.autosound2000.com/Products/cds/cd104.htm

You can find more by googling "gain overlap"

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10460
I don't suggest using EQing or boost circuitry at all if you can avoid it, or sparingly if really needed, so I don't set up systems to run with the signal processing all peaked out.. that just makes for a lousy quality signal with a ton of distortion.
run the ehad unit with flat settings, and set the gain accordingly, and if your head unit doesn't produce distortion at a certain volume level, you should be able to go to full volume without clipping anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us