Amp options

Username: Rowlandbrown

Post Number: 1
Hi there people. I am putting a system in my car from scratch but i have no idea what is good and what is not. I have no clue how the systems work and the bloke at the shop doesnt seem to either.

There appear to be 3 makes of amp in my home town. I have never heard of any of them so if anyone here has and knows if they are good or not please let me know:

1. Audiobank
2. American Pro
3. Bossman (or sumthing)

I am decided on a Sony Xplod 1300w sub, xplod mids 170w 6.5' and 6x9 xplods for the back. I am gonna get a panasonic head unit that a friend also has and is very pleased with - has 4x50w (RMS (which i believe you multiply by 8 to get normal power or sumthing)) outputs (cant rememebr the model).

I am not too sure about the amp tho. I want to get either a 2000w (4x500) 4 channel amp and then connect the splits to the head unit and the 6x9's to the amp with the sub on the other 2 outputs bridged.

or

a 2000w (or 2500w - as i can get one for the same price) single channel output and jsut connecting the sub to it and runnin the splits and 6x9's off the head unit directly.

How do these options sound? Can anyone give me sum good advice as to whick option (or similar option) to go for. If this setup wont work please let me know. I am a complete novice and cant seem to find anyone that knows anything bout car sound amoungst my friends.

Lastly will i need a capacitor for this setup. I have no idea wht the capacitor is needed for (well i know it kinda stores charge).

And please dont tell me that the panasonic head units are rubbish :D I have heard it all before but still have never had problems with them!

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Randomly128

Post Number: 15
1st things always
What is your budget??

Post Number: 2
While i do not see how relevant that really is to my question, my budget is in the region of $2000. Can no one just tell me if this system will work and if not why so?

Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 7
DO NOT buy any sony products!!! Just look around on the net and get something better. Ebay has very cheap prices. (RE, JL, RF, Infinity, etc.) NOT SONY!! I had there mid speakers and the blew twice in a few weeks. Had their amp and it was more of a heat furnace than to amplifiy the speakers. Some of the more experienced guys will be able to help you steer towards what gear to buy with that money. You will DEFF regret buying sony. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 675
Some sites for u to read on before attempting to do anything
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/car_stereo/intro.html
www.the12volt.com
www.bcae1.com
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Take a read & post back on what u'd like ....

Post Number: 3
Thanks Rovin. I am having a look at those sites now. Is it true tho that Sony is bad? A couple of my friends have sony systems and are quite happy with them. Also do i need a capacitor or not?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 678
If u have been following this forum for a while i as have - u will see it being mentioned in alot of threads that Sony products just don't perform & last as long as other brands .
Sure they make good enough Tvs & home a/v systems & their Ps1/PS2 are the rulers in the video game world - but everybody who's experienced in car audio will say it bluntly 'they suck!'

Here's a quick general guide on a 'simple' set-up -
Head unit - Premier (better than regular Pioneer) ,Alpine or Eclipse

Door speakers - buy components since they sound way clearer than regular coax speakers . Brands like Infinity ,Alpine , JBL , MB Quart

Amp for mids/highs - 4 channel . Alpine , JBL , MTX

Subs - Alpine , Kicker comps , Eclipse , Orion

Sub amp (use a mono D class) - same Alpine , Kicker comps , Eclipse , Orion etc

There are a 100 brands out there so i just listed a few of the mid-prices 1s . Budget/space/how loud is a major consideration .

bcae1 has a capacitor section - a ton of reading but worth it .

Post Number: 4
Thanks Rovin. I must say i am still tempted by the Sony range as there is buggerall choice in this town (i live in Namibia - southern africa). I am not looking for the best or loudest system but want sumthin that will make a bit of noise and will last. I have seen a couple of kicker amps and subs (which are HIGHLY overpriced) but other than that all the brands i can find are completly unheard of except the sony. So i think i am gonna be forced to buy them. I am thinking a 1200w sub amp for the 1300w 12" xplod sub and a 600w sub for the 6x9s and the mids. Gonna go with the panasonic head unit i think. I am not sure bout the capacitor still. What do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Oknagan, B.C Canada

Post Number: 28
I have no issues with the NEW sony 1400 watt class D sub amp and it runs my 2 12" type R subs!. I hit 139.6 Db with it and I can listen to music for hours and she never gets warm. I Paid $400 Brand new and has a 2 year warranty.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 680
Had not a clue u live in SA - 1 would normally think most ppl on this forum lives in the USA .lol

Not even Pioneer u get over there ? - or i'd tell u @ least do a all pioneer system .

Well pick some models on the higher end range of the products & remember all wattages MUST be checked in RMS cause i have a feeling what u listed above is in fact MAX watts which is not used when setting up car audio .

Whether a system will need more current is to hook it all up (apart from doing the calculations) ,if lights blink or voltage drops by testing with a meter - then a HO alternator is needed 1st & u can still add a cap in case u suddenly want to play it loud alot .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us