Xtant High Level Adapter

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 44
So I've got a pair of Xtant amps on the way (a 6.1 monoblock, and a 2200i 2 channel) and for the time being, I need to run off my stock headunit.

Both amps accept balanced line inputs, and also according to the Xtant website, you can plug in speaker level inputs into it as well, when it's in balanced mode. You have to buy their High Level Adapter to make that work (which I think is just an RCA plug with two wires :P ).

So it leaves me with a few questions... just putting speaker level inputs in isn't _really_ a balanced input is it? It won't have the same resistance to noise, I'm assuming.

Secondly, if I run the speaker levels into the amp1, then run RCAs from the line-out on amp1 to the line-in on amp2... what kind of signal will be flowing over that? High level? balanced? low-level?

Finally.. I also have a good quality LOC which I could use instead of this High Level Adapter... am I better to run the signal from the HU over RCAs or use the Xtant HLA to send speaker level? I like the idea of dropping the LOC out of the mix, so I have one less set of gains to mess with.. but I don't want to lose SQ in the process.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 46
Also, what colour of wire do electrons move fastest down?

j/k... anyone know about the real questions? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4312
Use the rca wires. It's always better than the LOC. I've tested both, RCA clearly gave better SQ.
With Xtant amps, depending on the model, you can still use RCA wires for balanced input. That'll help get rid of ground loop problems. Not many amps support that using rca.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 47
Hm, which do you mean? Either I can run speaker wire, and use the little RCA plug from Xtant, or I can use a LOC, and run RCA cables.. Not sure which one you mean since you say use RCA's but not a LOC :-)

And yeah, these Xtant amps do allow balanced inputs through the RCAs...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4316
I meant, if your HU has rca out jacks, then use them.

Bronze Member

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 49
Oh, no... it's the stock HU for now, due to lack of funds :-) So no RCA outs.

Plus trying to keep the install fairly stealthy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us