Magic Wattage Formula?

Bronze Member
Username: Secretsoundz

St. Paul, Mn USA

Post Number: 31
How would one go about finding actual wattage
benchpress ect. of an amp? I'm imagining an elaborate mathematic formula here, it can't be a vu meter and your ears.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1020
all you need is a VOM (volt-ohm meter) and an amp-clamp.

put the amp-clamp around your pos speaker wire and touch the VOM's leads to the pos and neg speaker terminals. have the VOM set to volts AC and the amp-clamp set to Amps AC. Then run a sine wave (tone burst). Then just take the numbers your get and plug them into this elaborate formula:

Amps X Volts = Watts :-)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1021
oh...

and buy the way, depending on the frequency of the tone your use...you will get different values from both meters.

even if you have your amp wired to 1ohm nominal, the actually impedence (AC) will change across a frequency range, this is because a speakers voice-coil in inductive.

Ex: my amp is wired to 1ohm, but at 50hz my "box rise" is ~3.3ohms.

to find the actually impedence that you have at a given frequency, use this formula:

volt / amp = ohm

Bronze Member
Username: Biteworms

Clearwater, Florida United States

Post Number: 19
That was the most straight-forward explaination I've seen so far. I'm saving this post, helpful information :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10410
most accurate way to measure power output of an amplifier is with a regulated power supply, a dummy non-inductive load, and an oscilloscope.
you'd use a test tone at a specified frequency at a 0dB reference level to generate the signal for the scope.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us