2 10'' s or 1 12''??

Username: Newbiee

Post Number: 1
hi, i'm a noob to car audio, just got my dad's hand down 98 camry and installed a Pioneer 50-Watt XM head unit. i want a balanced system with clean hits, a friend told me to either get 2 10'' or 1 12'' JL w3.

i have no idea which brand is good or not. i'm on a budget of 600 bucks to spend on the amp and sub, plz help!

Bronze Member
Username: Illfaded

Post Number: 14
wow 600 u can get some decent subs.. just shop around.... ill say for a camry go with 2 10"s if u have a suv or a truck go higher

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1764
try this:
2 Adire Shiva 12" subs (www.adireaudio.com)
$250
and a JBL BP1200.1 amp (www.ecoustics.com)
~$300

ported box, 2cu ft per sub after driver and port displacement, 4"ID ports, tuned to 34Hz each

Post Number: 2
thanks glasswolf, i'll go get that set up. can i just bring "ported box, 2cu ft per sub after driver and port displacement, 4"ID ports, tuned to 34Hz each" to an audio shop and have them make it?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1779
sure can!
that's a pretty simple box by installer standards

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1780
one trick to the JBL amps
get a pair of RCA Y-splitters (2M-1F) so you send signal to all 4 inputs of the amp (front and rear L/R) and you'll notice a vast improvement in performance.
It's a little trick with those BP series amps.

Post Number: 3
i've ordered the subs and amp, the thing now is when i go to the audio shop to get the box made and everything installed, should i tell them a specific way to wire the amp? i know nothing about it.

and how much should i expect to pay for installation, box and wires? don't want to get riped off ;]

Bronze Member
Username: Illfaded

Post Number: 15
hmm.. you might get rip off.. trust me these installers might leave out things .. as for me i know a couple people that can install so they tell me what there going to do and such.. first they ask me what type of music i listen too.. after that they know what to do.. so if i was you.. i dunno what to do lol ;P

Post Number: 4
and oh glasswolf, this box you designed for me will fit in the back of a 98 camry right? my trunk is pretty big but i just wanted to make sure ;]

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1789
easy fit.
the box should be under $200. maybe around $150 depending on where you are and how good the shop is.
the amp will probably be around $50-85 to install.
They should use a 4AWG wiring kit for that amp, and be sure to ask them to put the Y-splitters on the amp inputs so all 4 inputs get signal.. it'll help. the Y-splitters are only a couple bucks anyway.

the coils on the subs should be parallel, and the subs should be parallel..
each sub is 8+8 so you'll end up with a 2 Ohm load.. should work fine.

Post Number: 7
nice i'll get them to install it to that spec.

glasswolf, also i was wondering if you have the time to build this box for me? i will pay you extra + shipping cause i know you're the man when it comes to this stuff.

Bryan 8
Unregistered guest
calm down tony, we all know about GlassWolfs knowledge but its a bit sickening to see you suck onto his butt in such a way,

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1806
Tony, the shipping on that box would be insane.
It's easier to have a reputible local shop build it, and I'm sure tehy'd do just as good a job..

plus I would have to order things like carpet and such to do it now, since I don't work at a shop any longer.
thanks for the offer though

Post Number: 8
ahhh ic, no worries then and thank for all your help glass.

lol Bryan 8, i'm sucking up anything, i just want my system to sound superb. ;]

Post Number: 9
"not"

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
for $365 i got a kicker comp vr 10 in a custom made box for it and it is hitting 135 dBs with a sony 1000w amp on it which is really only putting out like 400 watts. so dont always think that the bigger sub is louder. this ten is hitting louder than my 2 12"s, its mainly the custom box its in that adds dbs.

id get one just like mine and a 200$ amp if i were u unless u want something way louder than 135dBs, and i have my sytem in an Explorer if you were wondering.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1894
several factors for SPL
vehicle
box design
power
driver Xmax and total surface area
number of drivers used..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums