Need some subs for about 400-900

Username: Thigpen

Post Number: 1
Hey i just got my new car, a 3000GT which means its a hatchback. im trying to get a pretty good setup going, im looking for subs and amp within the price range i listed before. i was recommended 2 12" W3's or 1 12" W6 running off a 500/1 which would put me right about 900. if you guys could tell me what you think between those two, and what you think about other subs out there within the price range thatd be great, thanks

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 530
W3 = 200wrms $199
W6 = 400wrms $339
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=18&Manufactu rerID=621&PageNum=1&SortField=1&SortOrder=0&ShowAll=False&AttrID=1&AttrValue=12& RowIndex=2

both combos = same power rms wise but 2 subs will obviously be louder .

I would choose 2 of these http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2034

& 1 of this http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=251

Id subs are said to be on par with JL & definitly cheaper too .....

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2859
I'm just guessing you want sq sense you're looking at JL, right?
Hears just an off the top of the head idea, but 1 12/15, what ever size you want... RE x.x.x, about $450, and the rest on box/amp.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 401
I thought W3's (current model)were 300w RMS

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2860
P.s, the subs Rovin mintioned are great sq subs as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 70
i just finished my sub install in my 3000GT. 2 RE8's in a ported enclosure, powered by an mtx 342. It get loud enough for me.Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 535
Niiiice install ,Marc - looks like a factory optioned fit , only glitch is that the white inside the pipe should be painted to match .

Good job of blending the box with the seat , i;m guessing the box is pretty shallow .

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 935
i love that car. my sister had one. i robbed her every chance i got (before she totalled it). i was going to get a vr-4 if i found one, but i settled on my expo.
nice set up. how deep is that enclosure?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 538
The Lancer's body is shaped kinda naturally sexy like its got a full body kit ,but when its really p!mp out it looks like a million bux !

Post Number: 2
and that is a nice install, maybe you could teach me how to install mine the same way? because i would probably have to take the spare out of my trunk to fit the subs unless i installed them the same way you did, even tho my spare looks like a f'ing bike tire, i still might need it

Post Number: 3
the current W3's run 175 at my local audio one, and they are 300RMS, and could you link me to the x.x.x. you showed me, and possibly a good amp to run it?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 542
"The Lancer's body is shaped kinda naturally sexy like its got a full body kit ,but when its really p!mp out it looks like a million bux !" -

OOPS - i had so many tabs open & this was supposed to be typed in a different thread !!! heh heh

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 545
Also above
" W3 = 200wrms $199 " - thats a typo its 300wrms , my bad ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
thanks for the compliments..the enclosure is around 4 inches deep at the top and as it goes down, it gets deeper. To probably 6 and a half...so the max depth is about 4 and a half. Two tens will fit there as well...since the box is only 11 inches high, 12 wont fit.

Post Number: 4
As i said, i really dont know anything about audio, what do you mean when you say SQ? basically i just want pretty good base, pretty good quality, and something that will last along time with low maintenence since as i said i dont know that much about subs. Im not trying to get something extremely nice and top among cars around here, but best at my school wouldnt be bad :-p The main reason i was looking at JL's was because theres only really 2 shops around here for a good bit, a Audio one that mainly carries JL, with prices that are cheaper than ive found online, and a Car toyz that mainly carries diamond. but any more advice i could get would be awesome, and marc how did you even get 4 inches in there, i dont even think mine has that much room, what year/mod is yours? mines 94 base

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 557
SQ = sound quality , SQL = sound quality loud ,SPL = sound pressure level which is = just plain loud without care for SQ .

Well if it can fit ,get the 2 W3 2ohms model & power it with an e1800D Jl amp

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14887

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2793.html for godd enough SQL .... total $ 780

Post Number: 5
now is that amp right there better than the 500/1 that i had been recommended before to run the 2 W3's off of, and if i get the W3's ill probably get them from my local audio one cuz they have them for 175 which comes with a 1year warranty which is cheaper and long warranty than online, but for the box for the W3's should i take the factory jl audio box made for them for like 125-150 bucks or get one elsewhere.. and also you said SQL, but i also want a decent good amount of SQ

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 558
Remember 2 w3 = 600wrms (300 each)
that 500/1 amp = 500wrms , not enough

Amp i rec is : 800 wrms @ 2 ohms x 1 chan.

What is rec is that u get an amp that is a bit bigger than what is needed so the amp does not have to run @ full power & it'll run cooler too .

600 wrms is plenty for the average listener & JL subs are noted for quality as well as loudness by every1 .

Well its way easier to buy JL's box & that price is reasonable .

Match your door speakers with some Infinity Kappa perfects components & a 2/4 chan JL amp too ....

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 560
Subs should be wired like this
Upload

Post Number: 6
For right now i actually thing im going to keep my stock speakers. I took out the stock HU w/equalizer and put in a DEH-P770mp by pioneer that i got cheap online. Im taking some of the money i got out of my fulltime job that i worked over the summer (about 3000 after taxes) and was looking to spend just some of it on my system, just looking for subs now, but hey im still 17 and get christmas presents so the speakers could be coming soon :-)

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 562
The Inf speakers are about $280/pair & a amp for it would be around $400 - just so u'll know how expensive of a gift u'd be begging for !

Post Number: 7
But i mean is it really worth 400 bucks for new speakers? The stock speakers on 3000's are nothing like decent after markets but they arent bad, with my HU it sounds pretty damn good with no subs, the speakers have almost no bass, but hey thats what i want from them once i get my subs in, so unless theres a particular reason to spend 400 on speakers, why not just play them til they blow?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 568
Well ya - get the subs/amp/box & use what fac speakers u currently got & whenever the speakers die or u are ready to upgrade to better ...

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
i might be able to sell you a w6-v2 and a 500/1 for 900 plus shipping

Post Number: 8
a New W6 with box is alot less than 500 at my local audio one, and i can get a 500/1 for 375 with 1 year warranty so why would i spend more for used subs/amp

Post Number: 10
2 W3's or 2 SX's.. someone told me that i should get 2 SX's instead of 2 W3's, both subs run about the same price for me so what do you think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
whoops ment SE not SX

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 406
I would surely go w/ the SE. But then I'm extremely biased against JL. I think the SE is a superiour sub to the W3 and most often for less money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
im pretty much a scrub with boxes and amps, if i got 2 12's would they even fit in the back of a 3000, or would i have to make/get a custom box right on my back seat like in the pics above.. and with 2 SE's what would be a good amp to run it and how much would it run me.. if possible im trying not to spend that much because i can take the leftover and spend it on some new speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
And also what all would i need to make my own box, and how hard would it be for me to do so. My father is a head manager at a local lumberyard, so i could get MDF playwood i think it was for almost next to nothing

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 579
Use this to calculate box sizes www.the12volt.com & let your Dad organise a box made of 1" thick MDF , 3/4" in my opinion still vibrates .

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 580
Re-reading your post u said u considering 2 RE SE instead . A SE sub is rated @ 600wrms which is twice as loud as a JLw3 . So you're gonna have to decide how loud u really want it . U can also call/email www.reaudio.com & ask for advice on what'll fit your car .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I mean usually i would just run my system semi loud, nothing that fancy, just to enjoy it, but its also nice to have the power to show off a tiny bit when g@y @ss kids with purple malibus at your school who say they spend 2000 on their system and roll around with their car sounding like its falling apart and all the words come out sounding like a retarded kid with constipation. i just want a pretty good amount of sound quality, and a pretty good amount of bass, and whichever sub would do that best, would be my choice

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 588
Double sub power = double amp power = double $ ,also some electrical upgrade might be necessary too .

3 routes of car audio
1)SQ - sound quality system
2)SQL - L = loud but with SQ still
3)SPL - P= ressure ,basically annoying loud with NO disreguard to SQ .

.....u have to decide which route

U got a brand new GT ,who cares about some beat up old Malibu .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
i want SQ with a small/decent amount of loudness.. im not doing it for the beat up malibu, im doing it for myself, because i love riding in my friends cars and they even have shitty subs, so i want some half decent subs. i dont want top of the line, but i listen to all kinds of music, not just rap with alot of base, so i want like 75% SQ and like 25% SQL if thats possible? basically if you know 3kgts' mines a 94, 95k miles, although its still fast and in mint condition, theres no point in doing work to a car with that many miles, so therefor im going to work on my system, something i can move to my next newer car and already have a head start. thats the main reason i was looking at JL's, i know their expensive, but ive been told they will last and they will be good for many years, which is something important

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 598
Personally I myself would love a JL system but in my circumstances i do not wish @ this point in time to buy that - its not that i can't afford it , but thats just me . Also, i like loud but SQ is a must !

From what i've read in MANY sites all over JL subs/amps are like in the top 5 for overall best in SQ & also SQL for their higher end models . The only reason ppl have dissed them is price but hey a Mercedes does sell for more than a Ford .

My advice - buy the highest models in JL u can afford like the 12w6 or the better 13w7 & their amps as well .
Another alternative was the company i mentioned above Image Dynamics ,their subs i read reviews on & is said to be 1 of the very few who can stand up to JL in SQ & SQL - some ppl say quality is the same but at top volume ,JL is a bit louder . Ampwise - there are other companies which also make great amps but big $ as expected .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
See that there is a problem, i dont have a big supply of money. I'm 17, and currently i dont have a job. i had a summer job where i made about 2500 after the buttload of taxes i lost, almost 70-100 bucks every week. everything i put into my system is coming out of my own money. my dad pays for insruance and gas, but i have to have the money to buy food for the entire school year until summer comes. im really not looking to spend a sh*tload of money, which i guess is ironic since im looking at jls. but i do want a pretty decent system, and im not going to buy a cheap starter system, then want something new and better before next summer even comes and when i have even less money to get something better. I dont really want top of the line sh*t, i want good brands, i just dont necessarily want the best the top of the line brands have to offer, if i got high end jls, it would just be one W6v2. preferably id rather have 2 W3's over 1 W6, just so when i have the urge to bump it, i can rock my hatchback. the main reason im willing to spend the extra for jl is ive never heard of anyone having any complaints or problems with their products, except price, and because from what ive heard they last a good bit and stay healthy. another thing that puts emphasis into jls for me is there is a local audio one that sells them cheaper than anything ive found online. that way i can get a good box custom made for the subs, and if i ever had any problems i drive down the street for first hand service. the price they gave me for 2 12W3v2s in the jl custom box was like 479.00, is that good for that? the main reason i came here was for advice on if 2 W3's were good, if for some reason a single w6 would be better, or if there were any other good brands out that have a good rep for quality and stability for a few years. the stuff about that company you kept listing was only borderline, reason that i never really mention it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
btw rovin you have aim? seems like just me and you talking so if we did it somewhere else it would probably not annoy people on the forum as bad :-p

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 600
Nope no aim - i find myself trying to @ least help ppl from what 'little' i do know (compared to way more experienced persons on) & i got this idiot as thanks https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/161679.html
but who cares about losers like him . I don't think most ppl would mind us 2 guys conversing ,there are other threads where ppl write back/forth for wks on eg the 'audiobahn' thread.

Like mentioned way above 2 w3s = 600wrms & 1 w6 = 400wrms , note too its 2 subs vs 1 sub , more cone area & more volume of air being pushed too .

If u can still afford this amp buy http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=251

That box/sub price u asking about i have no idea - u have to check around . U can easily run a new thread asking specifically that .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
yea i can easily afford that amp, thats right about the price range i was hoping for, for an amp to run my subs. now my number one question is, ive heard of about 100 people who use 2 W3's off a 500/1, and ive never heard of anyone using that amp. if that amo costs less, and puts out more WRMS, why do so many people use the 500/1?

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
people use the 500/1 because it is an amazing amp. and it has the capability to put out 500 watts at any ohm level. and it also has an awesome sub eq. definately worth the money. i currently have it pushing a w6 and its just amazing.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 602
"it has the capability to put out 500 watts at any ohm level" - he hit it right on the nail head , once your subs are hooked up no matter the configuration to it they are getting 500wrms .
Where as the other amp u have to be more precise how u go about it - but its rated @ much more power . Ask your local audio shop where u said u are getting it .

Found it even cheaper than i showed u b4 - http://sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?show_thumbnails=1&show_description=1&id=2 3&car_only=&page=1&manufacturer=21&new_page=1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
id probably get the 500/1 for 2 W3's, but if i got 2 RE SE's, what would be a good amp to run them?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 614
Well on RE's site it says 600wrms so for a pair i'd say a Kicker 1200.1 but u do have a budget to consider - so its your call .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
are kicker amps good? it seems like everyone bash's their subs left and right but i havent heard much about their amps

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 616
I've been following this forum since May & its their SQUARE subs everybody (guys who like SQ/SQL) hate .

U saw this thread ? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/162172.html

But the members on this forum agree that that their Comp series of subs are good .

Kicker is still american made (some1 recently posted on this) & their amps are actually underrated . I remember a few guys posted saying that their 1200wrms amps birthsheets actually showed closer to 1400.
Like JL ,expensive yes - but i noticed they are longer sized than JLs amps .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
same model as your car man...you can fit 4 inches easy...my two 8's get plenty loud for me, and im only pushing each with 170 watts. Whatever you choose, i think you will like it..you dont need to spend much on your setup. mine was 120 for box, 110 for amp and 56 x 2 for the subs...fits nicely in the back and saves the trunk too...
anyway, good luck with it

Bronze Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 32
marcccccc dont leave meeeeeee... im probably going to be building a box similar to the one you did, instead of getting RE's ill probably get the RE SE
s and instead of 8 inch ill probably get 10 inch. but i really want to know how you built that box, my dad is a manager at a lumber yard and i worked at it for a summer yard so i can get some mdf 1" plywood for either free or next to nothing, but before i start building it, it would be nice tot alk to someone whos already done the install.. if you could aim me at mpt947 or e-mail me hokiefan4life100@hotmail.com that would be awesome, thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us