New to this whole thing, 1500 bucks to spend

Peter B
Unregistered guest
hey guys, great site. i know next to nothing about all of this and was wondering if yall can help me out. if you dont do this kind of thing just tell me and sorry in advance. i have an 04 lincoln avaitor and want to spend about 1500 on a system for it. anything goes except for one thing. the trunk is pretty small so i only want one sub, maybe 12' so that the box only takes up about half of it. i listen to mostly rock and some rap. more concerned about sound quality than hard hitting bass but still would like some decent bass. basically what i want to do is buy all the stuff myself and take it somewhere for wiring and installation. any recomendations would be great. and for the head unit id like a flip out monitor. any suggestions that meet my budget?

Bronze Member
Username: Deezel

Post Number: 49
Well, any solid flip out player that is going to be worth its salt in anything is going to probably costs you more then you are willing to spend on the entire system.

Stick with a quality Pioneer or Alpine headunit. I personally like Pioneer myself. The DEH-8600MP is supposed to be an excellent buy. I just bought the DEH-9600MP because I liked the cosmetic look of it, but its pretty much the same headunit as the much cheaper DEH-8600MP.

As for woofers, anything by RE, Eclipse, or ID will give you what you are looking for within your price range.

The IDQ's, which are often considered at the top of the SQ game, are about 200 dollars a peice or so for a 12. They also work well in small sealed enclosures, so you can conserve space.

That's just my two cents. I am sure someone who knows more about car audio then I ever will, can give you more indepth reccomendation about amps, speakers, and the like...

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 552
"head unit id like a flip out monitor" - this alone co$t$ around $1300

$1500 for an entire setup ? incl HU ,door speakers 1 sub amp ,amp for or no amp for highs/mids ?. That budget will give a very basic but ok system .

Check these 3 sites & pick out stuff u'd like & get back to us .
www.sonicelectronix.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com
www.woofersetc.com

If u got time to read & really want to know about car audio www.the12volt.com & www.bcae1.com

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 553
The 9600 has about 3 features more than the 8600 & costs about $80-100 more .

But get the Pioneer Premier models INSTEAD which are alot better than the regular pioneers . Details between both check Pioneer's website.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 28
You could do ok audio wise for $1500. Entry level RE subs like the RE and SE would be great for SQ. You can find amps decently cheap on ebay. For speakers your gunna want components on a four channel or two 2 channel amp(s). The comps are gunna run you no more than $200 a pair for a pretty decent set. As far as head unit, Alpine, eclipse or Pioneer are the way to go. Your gunna need 3 sets of pre-amp out puts.

So figure about 400 alone on speakers, 200 for the sub, what ever deal you can get on the amps (prices vary on ebay) and your gunna spend 300 or so on a HU unless you get one off ebay.

Dont forget about wiring and accessories. Is your alternator adequate enough to power 3 amps.

$1500 sounds like a lot until you break it down.

like Rovin said, go window shop and get back to us

Peter B
Unregistered guest
blah sorry guys. by flip out monitor i meant the head units that tilt, not the big lcd screens. wow big mix up sorry. alright im off window shopping, ill get back to yall asap. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2866
Lol yeah, that makes a big difference.
About $1200/1400 difference.

Peter B
Unregistered guest
alright a few questions.

so i got the idea with the head unit, pretty simple

sub isnt too hard either

stumblin up on the amp and speakers

what size, power, brand spreakers? how many? what wattage amp? how many? sorry im really stuck guys.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2867
Tell us what sub/speakers and we can match the subs ohm with the right amp.

Peter B
Unregistered guest
so far for the subs im either thinking one 12' Rockford Punch Stage 3 or 2 10' Stage 2s

for head unit the eclipse cd5435
http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd5435.html

still clueless on amps and speakers?
any suggestions?

Peter B
Unregistered guest
just found out for component speakers both front and rear door are 5 1/4' speakers. maybe the rockford punchs for this too?

Peter B
Unregistered guest
just found out for component speakers both front and rear door are 5 1/4'' speakers. maybe the rockford punchs for this too?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 563
In order to balance your budget u may need to cut down on your sub/amp combo a bit but DO get a really good HU ,door speakers & 4 channel amp so @ less your system will sound clean .

Door speakers - Try Infinity instead cleaner than Rockford

Sub - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4281.html

sub amp - http://sonicelectronix.com/item_3733.html

HU ? - that Eclipse looks nice ,check also Pioneer Premier & Alpine to see if equivalent models are priced the same .

Car Audio
Unregistered guest
1500 come on i got a decent system for 500. Hey wont break the class or rattle the glass but it bumps.

Look at a 15inch Lanzar Hertiage sub pushes 2000watts thoes are pretty cheap. (300)

Good Mono channel 1000RMS watt amp. (400)

4 speakers (infinity 300 bucks nothing to big 6002I arent that bad ebay goes around 30 US to retail 65.)

now you have 500 bucks left for another 4 chan amp for the interior speakers or dish another 350 or so get another 15 inch sub 2000watt and grab a 2000watt rms amp.

2 15's 4000watt (600)
1 2000 watt rms amp (550)

Somthing like that would be good doesnt have to be Hertiage Subs just a name i used but people really dont like Lanzar much so id stay away from thoes. Kicker or JL

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3678
$1500 is quite a bit to work with, if you know what your doing.

I could easily put together something killer with $1500.

car Audio
Unregistered guest
scratch that i didnt include head unit. Okay so grab a 12 inch sub instead of the 2 15's and get a Alpine or Pioneer HU.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 566
"Door speakers - Try Infinity instead cleaner than Rockford" .... i meant components (around $100/pair) if u want clean sounds

if not then regular speakers = $30 & up .....

He said "more concerned about sound quality" - so no Lanzar for him ! - lol

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3679
$250 for a good mid-grade Alpine cd player. I'd go for one of last year's models, they're cheaper and I don't like the new lines as much.

$300 is plenty for a good sub, I'd go with a good 15".

$350 should get you a decent amp for the sub.

$100 for wiring and box materials.

$250 for a decent 2-way component set.

$250 for a nice little 2 channel to push the components.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 567
I too was thinking of rec a good 15" for him but waiting to see what Peter B. has to further say .

Good estimate - only thing he said "component speakers both front and rear door are 5 1/4'' speakers" , so he'll be wanting 2 pairs of comp & that requires a 4 channel amp which would send the budget past $1500 ....... lets see what he posts back .

Peter B
Unregistered guest
alright, thanks everyone for being so damn helpful and putting up with me.

head unit
http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd5425.html
$270
but id have to get this to make it work in my aviator (same head unit as navigator)
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_1492.html#
again this might be stupid, but should I do the above or i found a pioneer double din reciever which would fit right in
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4211.html#
$290

thats basically it for the head unit...

sub wise, i really like the 12' Rockland Punch Stage 3
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2876.html
$170
but dont know whether to get the 2 ohm or 4. i think i saw that with the 2 ohm, youd get twice as much power from the 4 ohm amp. if im right, what then is the advantage of getting the 4 ohm? id rather stay away from the 15's for lack of space first of all, and its just waaaay deeper than id ever need to go. i listen to rock a little more rap. or if yall have a better suggestion lemme have it. and the budget isnt 1500 exactly, i have room to work with ;)

for the sub amp, is it better to go with a mono? the sub is rated from 100-500 RMS so should i go a little over with the amp or will that damage it? sorry for the lame questions again. heres a suggestion.
kenwood 500W @ 4 ohms
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_4351.html#
$190

component speakers and amp
i really have no idea. im big on sound quality so components for sure i guess. front are 5.25s and rear are 6x8s but with adaptor can take 5.25s. with the HU, sub, and amp, im at about 700 bucks. that leaves $800, not counting installation and wires and other stuff, for my speakers and amp(s). i like the rockfords or infinitys i guess. should i go component in rear and front? what kind of amp or amps will i need for that?

lol long post. thanks again guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Thigpen

Post Number: 12
If you take some time to look, you can get everything pretty cheap, im pretty much exactly like peter in that i know almost nothing about audio and trying to build a system. i found a Pioneer preimer deh-p 770mp for 160 brand new w/ warranty and got a friends dad to install it for free in my 3000GT. im still looking for subs and i have a post open called subs for 400-900 so if you could help me in thered id love you forever :-)

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 583
12" RF sub looks ok
this is also good too www.discountsjungle.com cheapest online site i know of apart from ebay

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 584
In case u don't know about brands .......

http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly *or* Is this brand any good?

These are some pretty generalized groupings and also very subjective. We've simply based our experiences with the products whether they are direct installs, personal property or extensive research. You should always physically listen to a product before purchase because you are the one who will determine whether or not an item "sounds good" or not.

This topic, while being controversial, is simply a generalized guide meant for beginners in the hobby. Many brands specialize in certain items, ie. better amplifiers than speakers, better mids than subs, etc... Also almost all manufacturers offer entry level products as well as high quality lines. As I stated before, this is a GENERALIZED guide. It is your responsibility to research and audition every brand before you purchase anything. Good luck with your decisions.

We've broken this section into 4 catagories:
1: Bad
2: Questionable
3: Good
4: Highly Recommended

Bad

American HiFi (Rockwood)
American Pro
Audiovox
Automobile
Becker
Boss
DHD
JDL
Jensen
Kenwood (speakers)
Kole
Kraco
Kronik
LA Sound
Legacy
MA Audio
Optimus (Radio Shack)
Planet Audio (Boss, by any other name)
Power Acoustik
Pyle
Pyramid
Rockwood
SAS Bazooka (amplifiers)
Sherwood
Sony (anything by Sony)
Sound Storm
Sparkomatic
SPL Audio
Thump
Ultimate Sounds
Visonik
Volfenhag

Questionable

Aiwa
Alpine (lower model speakers)
Autotek
Audiobahn
Blaupunkt
Crunch
Hifonics
Hollywood
Kenwood (amplifiers, head units)
Lanzar
Lightning Audio
Matsui
MTX (subs)
Onyx Mobile Audio
Panasonic
Phoenix Gold (ask on specific models)
Pioneer (amplifiers and speakers)
Precision Power (PPI) (newer non-US made amplifiers)
Rockford Fosgate (current products)
SAS Bazooka (all products)

Good

Alpine (amplifiers, Type-R speakers and subs)
Altec Lansing
Alumapro
Ample Audio
Audio Development
Avionixx
Boston Acoustics
Cadence (current amplifier products)
Cerwin Vega (subs)
Clarion (head units)
Coustic
Crossfire
Crystal
Directed (DEI)
Earthquake
Eaton
Elemental Designs (ED)
Helix
Illusion
Infinity
JBL (amplifiers)
JVC Digifine
Kicker (amplifiers, subwoofers)
Lunar
Memphis Audio
MTX (amplifiers)
Phoenix Gold (some models)
Polk Audio
Rockford Fosgate (some models)
Soundstream
USAcoustics

Highly Recommended
a/d/s
Adire
Alpine (head units, signal processors)
Arc Audio
Audax
Audio Control
Brax
Butler Audio
CD Technologies (CDT)
Diamond Audio
Digital Designs (DD)
DynAudio
Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten)
Esoteric Audio
Focal
Harrison Labs
Image Dynamics (ID)
Infinity Kappa/Kappa Perfect components
JL Audio (subs, XR components, slash series amps)
KEF Kar components
Kove
Luxman
MB Quart
McIntosh Laboratories
MMATS
Morel
Nakamichi (tape transports)
Ohio Alternator
Orion
OZ Audio
Pioneer Premiere (head units)
Precision Power (PPI) (Art series amps, old)
Rainbow
Resonant Engineering (RE)
Rockford Fosgate (older 80s and 90s models)
Sinfoni
Streetwirez
Stinger
US Amps
Wrangler Alternators
Xtant
Zapco

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 783
Screw the fancy HU. Get a half decent Alpine (I prefer the ones that play MP3's), when on a tight budget, I usually don't worry about door speakers, unless they're HORRIBLE. I'll usually get it all up to pare, including wiring, and then start looking at amp/sub setups. I'll also include the fact I'll probably need an HO alternator, and consider the fact that I'll be building my own enclosures.

And for a sub, I'd go with an Eclipse Aluminum. Or maybe two. They're VERY effient, and then you can save a bit on an amp... Just my .02.

And if you're looking for door speakers, I'd only put in a front stage, and make sure my deck is powerful enough to run them without an external amp. And I really like Alpine's, but my subs are too loud right now, and I keep blowing the SPR-134A's while trying to hear them over the bass... So I'm looking for some monster 5.25" component...

And you might want to look into one Eclipse SW9122 (Ti). One will get loud in a 3-4cu/ft box tuned to 32Hz.

Nobodyyy
Unregistered guest
i have a rockford fosgate amp for sale

its a 2400 watt amp knocks any subs real hard

im sellin it for $450
let me know email me @

MrNobodyyy@yahoo.com

the sub cost about $600 originally

Nobodyyy
Unregistered guest
i have a rockford fosgate amp for sale

its a 2400 watt amp knocks any subs real hard

im sellin it for $450
let me know email me @

MrNobodyyy@yahoo.com

the amp* cost about $600 originally

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 213
"$100 for wiring and box materials. " - Or...Just go to Wal-Mart and buy the wiring stuff...Age old theory still holds true, wire is wire, no matter where it comes from. Get the wires from Wal-Mart damnit, and save about $75

Anonymous

as for that good the bad and the ugly list

you will see a lot of very influential people on this website- basically they will all listen to what glasswolf tells them

nothing wrong in that- he is an expert

but the fact that you all repeatedly bring that list up is so god damn annoying- partly because half of you have never even seen/used half of those products on that list

that kenwood amp you mentioned is a actually a nice amp- despite what many people on here say about it- and the brand in general

kenwood was a starter in the car audio industry and while they may not make the best products their products are not worthy and will work for a basic beginners system with no problems

i also follow the same rule with tyler- its wire- their is no special wire- no company makes copper tied together better than any other so you can basically scratch that- or add it onto your online purchase

and finally- avoid anything rovin has to say pertaining to car audio- basically because his system is a POS and he will criticize you on whatever you buy- although everything he owns is on the ugly list

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 956
that's the thing about glass. you can take whatever he says to the bank, and put your mortgage on it. he's not going to unload ANY wrong advise.
the problem i would imagine some newbs run into is taking the advise and going into circles and basically name calling like everyone does in hollywood (will never go there again). i would personally suggest taking his priceless information and applying it yet to other ideas, and then reading and studying up on car audio as a whole. while name calling is indeed part of the hollywood culture (no jive), car audio can also be looked at as a culture. and to take said information and regurgitate it without actually REALIZING and understanding (not just knowing) what the heck was said does at least a partial misdeed to car audio and perhaps even to the barer of the wisdom.
as for kenwood, they have always sucked massive lard. but they have a new line out that's really not bad. they stepped it up at least on the HU side, which i have always hated the most out of everything from the company.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 957
and by "some newbs," i'm not referring to anyone in particular at all.
i'm just speaking from a very broad and general potential perspective. jmo

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 593
Whats wrong with Anonymous ? - when did he & i ever cross paths ? & hiding without posting his name .

Every single day a newbies comes on & ask "what about this brand what about that brand" ? - i never said i was an expert but i show them a list created by An EXPERT as a guide so they will @ least get an idea .

Very true that i have posted that list many times which is annoying to keep seeing but to a newb thats like totally new stuff their learning about .

Of course i have to recommend cheap brands sometimes when the person asks for a 'good enough' amp/sub for a $100 each but will NEVER mislead them into the extreme lowest like on the bad section .

We were all beginners once like i was recently too , experience brings wisdom . I did not list my system on my profile so how the hell would u know what i own ???? ... thats just a plain ignorant & stupid thing to say .

For your information i have recently sold off all my beginner equipment except for 2 cheap Pioneer subs & this will be my new system which i have already ordered & intransit . Will post pics as evidence after i install by myself .

Premier 860 deck
2 pairs Infinty Ref 6.5
Alpine 545 amp
MB Quart RAA1000 amp to be used on my temporary Pioneer subs to be upgraded later on with pair of 12" IDQ .

What here is a POS ????? for your info I ran a thread & Glasswolf personally approved this along with other respected members here & on another forum . This system will be built on a specific budget - i'm not rich or would go for top o the line stuff .

& lastly - i DO NOT criticize what ppl ask - if some1 wants to buy a 2400w Lanzar amp online for $150 , would u let them make that mistake - hell NO !!! , u ask their budget & informed them better can be had for a similiar amt of $ . IS THAT CRITIZING ????

So far what my 2 cents i give to ppl on this forum - all are greatful & even though i post in same thread next to the WAY more experienced members ,they have never as yet told me that i was misleading anybody .

NOT looking to start a war with some1 but i could not let that 1 fly by ......Upload

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1164
it's pretty obvious who posted that message...or it is a HUGE coincidence.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us