WTH do they make MTs in .7 and 1.4 ohm configurations..

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 864
why cant they just make normal ohm configurations. now ur amp isnt going to be running at its rated power. example: if u have 1 ohm stable u must run it at 1.4 ohms and lose considerable power. or run it at .7, and blow the amp. this really frustrates me.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 990
they are designed for competition use...not daily.

lots of times in comps, people run their amps well below their "rated stable load". Ex...some people run kx1200.1's are 0.25ohms to burp, that amp is rated at 1ohm stable. you can even "mod" some amps so that the protection circuit wont turn the amp off when it is presented w/ one of these near dead-short loads.

YOU CANT JUST RUN AN AMP THAT LOW DAILY THOUGH!!! The people that do this take box rise into account and only just the setups for 3second burps.

but...in reality, losts of amps rated to be 1ohm stable can run daily at .7ohm. (if you can keep your voltage up) ex: orion 2500d.

there is alot involved in running an amp below its rated stable load though. you can burn an amp out really easily if you dont know what you are doing.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 991
oh...and by the way

in some comp setups, people have been known to run 2amps to each coil on MT's :-)

ex: 4 kx1200.1's on 1 MT

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 865
yes im aware of that but im suprised they dont produce like dual 2 ohm also instead of just the .7 and 1.4 ...
i'll probably just run it at 1.4 ohm on a 1 ohm stabe amp... or maybe run 2 1000/1s one MT with 2.8 ohm VCs ... idk yet i got some time...

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 74
if your going for straight loudness.....which the MT is designed for i wouldn't use that 1000/1 amp setup.....they only push 1000 watts.....look around ebay i saw a Orion 2500D on their the other day for around 500ish. 2 of those amps will be a better choice for that sub and your probable intended purpose!! and i know about the wierd VC thing....damn W7 is 3ohms. my zapco is only giving it 1000 watts instead of 1400 like the birthsheet says it can do. still loud as hell tho. and just a quick ? what kinda car this going in?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 869
i drive an escalade.... and i currently have a 1000/1 thats why id use the 1000/1 until i got a bigger amp. either the orion 2500d or the kicker kx2500... although the orion input only goes up to 5 volts and i have a 8V preout so id be running it extra hard....

Bronze Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 81
well the reason i said not to use the 1000/1 is cuz it's a regulated powersupply amp....reason it only pushes 1000watts rms! it is also one of the best sound quality amps to match a W7 to....but if you go for spl meters you will need more power...i wouldn't use the kicker amp....i would jump for the orion.....but if you got the money check into www.zapco.com and click on the competition series...those amps will not do you any harm....i believe i saw they had a 5000 watt rms amp on their..... or even a 2000 watt rms amp!! again those are if you have the money.....added bonus those amps are some of the cleanest in the industry from my personal experience....let me know if others differ!

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 872
i love zapco amps... zapco and JL are my favorite... hoever i dont have 2 grand to throw at one... i only make 74 dollars a week riught now and after savings and insurance i only get about 40 of it.

but i dont get what your getting at that the JL amp only pushes 1000w rms.. thats because its a 1000w amp lol.. but it actually pushes around 1100 according to JL audio tech.

and like i said before a orion 2500D wont work because it only has up to a 5V input sensitivity whereas i have a 8V preout.

a zapco 1100.1 reference has a birth sheet stating around 1400w rms... that would be pretty sufficient and i can get it for 740 i think.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3691
Most coils aren't exact numbers. My sub doesn't have exactly 2 ohm voice coils, the numbers are rounded.

It doesn't have to be that precise anways, because along with frequency, impedence changes as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us