Chris Klein

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 428
Right now with 100rms apeice to my RE's they are moving quite a bit. I need to seal some major air leaks around the subs but in general do they have an extremely good xmax? They move so much for how little watts I am putting to them. Hopefully though, going from 100X2 to 225X2 will give their motors more control. Ideas?

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 430
bump

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 225
From what i remember the XMAX is 12mm. I have noticed that the XMAX is fantastic for such a low wattage sub. I would imaging that they are extremely efficient as well. with 225 watts apeice those things should pound.

BTW, i decided to just hook up 2 of them at 350 watts at 4 ohms to see the difference compared to 4 with 500. The figures are really underated though seeing that it is the Zacpo Refrence 500.1. Going back to what i was trying to say. 2 of them were still extremely punchy as all hell. The main difference that i saw was that it FELT like 4 of them had more attitude, and i could feel the lows more. Also, when i had just the 2 of them, it seem like they were almost too punchy, but that might be because i was used to hearing 4 of them.

Silver Member
Username: Chrisklein

Post Number: 226
Sorry i took so long to answer man, just got back from college.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 433
np thanks, would I be safe keeping the gains down on the amp and running 350rmsX1 with my Alpine amp to 1 of the subs?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10136
keep in mind xmax isn't a real good way to measure output for a sub, since xmax is a linear measure within the mag gap.. and the sub can actually exceed this measure by going beyond the gap, albiet with loss of driver control.
anyway, my old CV LE12D subs had like an 11 or 14mm or some madly small Xmax like that but having foam surrounds and paper treated cones, they were very sensitive, and didn't need a lot of power.. so with 160w x 2 for the pair.. they slammed in a large ported box.

also with some subs like the XXX, they have a high excursion with great linearity, but it's due to the motor design, and it's done to keep the sub linear more than it is for SPL, so they aren't as loud as subs with less Xmax in reality.. just a lot cleaner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us