RE question

Bronze Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 11
I was wondering how does the RE12 perform as an "entry" level sub. Should i just save a bit more and get an SE. [Im looking for SQ]

Also, I believe the SE is rated for 600w RMS. I read the article on glass's site -Speaker "Power Handling" ratings. What they really mean!- and Im wondering how much power would i have to send the SE's to reach peak excursion.
-[Assuming I understood the article which implies that a speaker doesnt necessarily reach peak excurssion at the RMS power rating, it can happen at a much lower power level. Also once the speaker reaches peak excursion it doesnt get any louder, therefore excess power is merely a waste and just produces more uneeded thermal engery...right? :]

Thanks for feedback

Bronze Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 14
the RE is a pretty good sub from what i read on here rivals with subs twice its price range the SE is very good also and both really cheap 69$ for a RE12 and 169$ for a SE12
im personally savin for a 15 SX

the RE is 175 rms but ppl feed 225 (what they post) and the SE is 600 rms.

Bronze Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 22
where can you buy RE Audio subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 15
only from there site ... www.reaudio.com but i u have to call and order it
Resonant Engineering HQ
781 Middlegate Road
Henderson,
NV 89015
em - sales@reaudio.com
em - tech@reaudio.com
tel : (702) 896 4823

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Do you know how much i would have to send the SE to get peak excursion? I dont want to buy a very powerful amplifier if I dont have to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Also, whats a good amp to power a SE 12?

Bronze Member
Username: Maz66

Post Number: 26
I picked up an Xtant 6.1 (600wrms into 2ohms) off eBay which is going to power either a 10" or 12" Resonant Engineering SE. Haven't got it yet, but once I get everything installed I'll let you know how it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Mav,

How much did you pick up that Xtant 6.1 for?

Yah let me know how it works out for you!!

Username: Djman37

Mesquite, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
a 12" SE is 600wRMS 1200peak. In reference to get them to peak excursion, is dependent on the install. Freq is a factor as well as enclosure. When mine were ported, I never went below tuning for them, but could feed each 1000w@37hz and they took that fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
What does it mean to have an enclosure "tuned" to a specific frequency and how do you tune it.

My concern about power in terms of the SE is not how much can i over power that 600wRMS rating, but how much can i under power it yet still reach peak excursion (If its possible) Basically i want to get a good amp that puts out moderate power, not an ok/Sh!tty amp that puts out what the sub calls for.

Username: Djman37

Mesquite, Tx Usa

Post Number: 4
For the sub
Smaller box = more power handling
bigger box = less power handling
free air = lowest power handling (ROE videos)
BOX TYPE
sealed = constant airspace(volume)
ported = percieved airspace = port is 1/4 of the wavelength you are looking for, making the enclosure 'feel' larger.
NOW, factor in the freqency you are playing
lower freq = more cone excursion
more power = more cone excursion

FREE AIR + 20hz and lower will need the LEAST power to reach maximum excursion.

If you have a box that is tuned for 37hz and you play a 20hz tone, you will 'unload' the box. It'll basically stop being a ported box and act like it's in free air. BAD because you will most likely be sending the sub too much power at that time and cause sub damage.

The ratings RE gives their subs is in the manf. recommended enclosures, on www.reaudio.com, you can play the sub all day at that wattage w/o overheating the coils. ANYTHING higher poses a risk, and voids warranty if they can prove misuse.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10203
a ported box is tuned by adjusting the length of the port based on cross sectional area and box net volume.
lots of calculators for this on the net
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us