I'm at a loss......Down to 1 ID-Max - Jon/Glass/Isaac -etc

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 378
I often ask questions for other people. My brother runs a shop but is busy most of the time and now I don't live as close. Anyway, this time it's for my personal vehicle. I have for the past year been running 2 ID Max 12s sealed off a JBL 2200.1. To temporarily regain some space I have removed 1 and changed my amp to a MTX 81000D. Then I kinda thought what about changing subs around altogether.

Keep in mind, I drive a Mazda 3 Wagon. I have the JBL 2200.1 and MTX 81000D for usable amps. Looking for suggestions on another set of subs (or Single sub) for 400-500 bucks w/ comparable SQ, a little less is okay. I like subs that do well sealed but am open to ported if it retains reasonable SQ.

Also, if anyone wants to suggest a change for my JL ZR650-CSi components. Looking for something around the same price range that's a little warmer sounding, maybe a 3 way system ?

Requesting that individuals have personal experience with or working knowledge of the items they suggest, but all opinions are welcome.

Have fun.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 971
wait on RE to release the new XXX in a month or 2. If their T/S parameters look good for a sealed box, then that might be a good option.

as for components, you may wanna look at Re XXX or CDT components.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4246
RE's new X.X.X subs should be great. However, if space is a premium, then take a look at JL 10W7 in a HO box. It should sound louder than most 12" subs.
If you have more space, 12W7 would be even better. I haven't seen 13W7 in HO boxes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
I know the XXX is a great sub....I'm just going to have to get passed my stigma of it refering to "P0RN" . We'll see if I can wait....

Thanks for the component suggestions. Wasn't even aware RE had any.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Isaac....thanks....But I refuse to purchase JL products. Just personal preference, I don't doubt their abilities. I didn't actually buy the components I have, so they don't count.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10071
you won't find a good 3-way system for under a grand, plus install costs which can be half of that again easily. I'd look at rainbow or dynaudio or morel for a good 2 way set in that range myself.
easier install too.

what do you want from the single sub? more output? just a change of scenery?

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Thanks. I'll check out Rainbow and Morel, I don't know much about them.

It's hard for me to begin to complain about the ID Max, so I won't.
Mostly a change of scenery but if you can get more output out of a single sub, who could complain? Basically I'm not looking to be the guy w/ the trunk full of subs and the car w/ the wheels and lights and stuff anymore, I'll leave that to you younger guys/gals. I want a more mature subwoofer (ha ha) that can still hold it's own.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
Thanks. I'll check out Rainbow and Morel, I don't know much about them.

It's hard for me to begin to complain about the ID Max, so I won't. Mostly a change of scenery but if you can get more output out of a single sub, who could complain?

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
Doh...sorry for the double post. The earlier previewed post came in second ? Crazy computers

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10090
a 13W7 from JL or an Adire Brahma MkII would be worth consideration.
DD has some good subs too, if you look at the SQL models and not the raw SPL ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us