Amps to go with for 2 Alpine Type S

Unregistered guest
I have 2 Alpine Type S 12's Dual Voice Coils 4 ohms. I am just gettin into this and not to sure which amps work or are good choice. I like the JL 500/1(know it will work cuz it adjusts automatically). Other I like is Alpine MRD-M500 but not sure if it will work some say yes, some no. If you all could let me know if the 500 would work, and others that would be good I would appreciate it thanks, A.J.

Anonymous

out of those two amps i would chose the Jl(even though i love alpine) i have the same subs as you and i have them wired so the amp sees a 4ohm load(i forget if that is series or paralel) the only other option is a 1ohm load. with the alpine at 4ohms the amp won't be putting out near enough watts to properly push the subs and at 1ohm the amp would be damged by putting out too much power, it will over heat lots and eventually fry. the jl would be beter because i believe it puts out its rms rating at 1-4ohms, so that means however you wire your subs the amp will put out 500 rms. hope that helps

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 397
type s's are 200w rms each right? and dual 4 ohms?

if you wire them both up paralell on an amp, you'll get a 1 ohm load and that JL regulated only down to 1.5 ohm so i wouldnt do that way...

if anything, wire the voice coils in series to get two 8 ohm loads then wire subs paralell to get a 4 ohm load on the amp and then you'll be in the 1.5-4 ohm range for the 500w rms on the JL 500/1

the 500/1 is a better choice - but you have to know how to wire the subs together to get a load within its range
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us