Hey Glass, question about PPI AX400 and Zapco Ref 500.1!

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 159
Hey buddy, I have finally decided on which amps to run. I am going to get the Zapco Ref 500.1 for the sub and the PPI AX400 for my comps (turns out the guy that was going to buy it backed out so I was able to snag it after all). My first question is whether or not you think $275 shipped is reasonable for the mint condition AX400 (black art) amp? My second question is whether or not you think I should look into getting a HO alternator to replace the factory one in my 2002 Honda Civic Si (considering I will be running the two amps mentioned - PPI bridged to 2 channels at 4 ohms and the Zapco at 2 ohms mono). This should be about 900 watts of rated power at 12.5 volts. What do you think? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3580
Yes you'll definitely need a new alternator, and yest $275 shipped is a good deal for the AX400, especially since it's in such good condition.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9990
links I posted here will help on the alt question:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/160366.html

that is a fair price, yes.
I'm still sort of looking around for an A1200.2 but I'm not paying $500 for one, and that's what I've seen a couple sell for. heh
nice amps
in 1995 the AX400 retailed for $699 US

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 160
Hey Glass, I know what you mean. I have been watching the few that are for sale on ebay and they are definitely getting up there in price. Last time I looked, there were two A1200.2s and one A1200 and I don't think any of them were under $500 with several days left to go. However, they were in very nice condition and would be an awesome amp to run. Glad you think the AX400 is a good deal, because I didn't want to find out I overpaid for it. Do you know if the power supplies in those are regulated or unregulated? Hey Glass, how much do you think an alternator would run me from excessive amperage or wherever it is you recommend buying from (2002 Civic Si)? The vehicle is leased and I don't want to drop too much money on an alteration like that, although I could just swap the factory one back in when I go to turn the vehicle in and sell the HO alt on ebay or something. Thanks again Glass and Joe for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3611
I have a feeling they are unregulated.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10021
as PPI's name implies (precision power) the power supply is regulated. This was the reason PPI was created in fact, due to a rift in Orion over power supply design ideas between the engineers there. Orion used unregulated supplies, and a few engineers wanted to go the regulated PWM design route, so they split off and formed PPI.

a 200A(ish) alternator should be somewhere between 200-300 bucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us