Custome Enclousure for two 12inch xplod subwoofers

Unregistered guest
Hy, my name is Jose, I'm from El Salvador, Central America, I own a Honda Accord 1994 LX and I was searching over the net for some information on subwoofer boxes. I currently own two 12 inch subwoofers (model: XS-L122P5) and one amplifier (XM-D6000GTX) all from the same brand, Sony Xplod.

I'm a car audio competitor which currently is partly sponsored by Omnisport/Sony here in El Salvador, they are one of the local dealers of Sony, and we get discount on their products. We have 3 car shows every year, one in october, the second one in november and finally in may.

Currently I have a sealed enclousure for both my subwoofers which is 1 inch thick, and is sealed in the middle of both woofers ( I used to own only 1 subwoofer from the design before the one I have at the moment and had a tube enclousure along with a 760W amp, also sony, but since I bought 2 new ones I changed for a box enclousure which a friend of mine lend it to me, since he had built another one).

However in my recent carshows I've been attending my spl measurement has been 134.4dB, so I'm quite worried since I was expecting a better dB measurement, from my new equipment, this is also because a friend of mine has 2 of the old subwoofer series, same 12 inch, but 1200W, where as mine are 1300W, and he scored 137.7db with a 1100W class D amplifier of the same brand, Xplod.

And I've come to the conclusion that my box and of course my cd player are someone of a problem since it is 45Wx4 and I need to get at least a 52Wx4 cd player. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience perhaps with this brand and would happen to know what is best for this, a sealed box or a ported box, thanks for any help or advice you might know.

I'm currently searching and testing boxes, perhaps on another ocation I might be able to post some pictures of my box for you to analize, since I'm getting prepared for the next carshow which is the 2nd of Oct.

I've browsed your forums and you seem the best fitted for answering my doubts, I've been to other forums, however I've had no response, or they are unsure what to tell me, I hope you can assist me with this problem, thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 963
what frequency did you peak at when you went to SPL shows?

build a ported box that will peak at that frequency (this box will be just for shows, not a daily box).

VIERA
Unregistered guest
hmmm...I'm not quite sure! Nonetheless I'll go to a place where I can test my audio system. And from those results I'll begin building my box, thank you.

VIERA
Unregistered guest
By the way, I was also curious to know if my current amplifier(XM-D6000GTX)is good enough to get me a nice db result? Since I've only tested it twice in 2 shows I want to know if it might be able to get me up to 140db. Since the category I run up the highest spl are 143...So I was hoping at least getting somewhat near. Of course its just an assumption from what I was hoping my new equipment did. Thank you once again.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 673
well theoretically you should be able to hit 140.. givin u have an average gain of 3 db per sub switching from a sealed to ported box.. but like marshal said find the frequency that is loudest in your vehicle and build a ported boxed tuned to peak at that frequency ..try it out and see what happens

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3592
"And I've come to the conclusion that my box and of course my cd player are someone of a problem since it is 45Wx4 and I need to get at least a 52Wx4 cd player. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience perhaps with this brand and would happen to know what is best for this, a sealed box or a ported box, thanks for any help or advice you might know. "

Your headunit has nothing to do with how many db's your gonna hit. If your running RCA's to your amps from the headunit, then your not even using the speaker outputs. If you are, the power ratings don't meen anything when you are running them to an amp.

If you are competing, your first problem, I'm sorry to say, is that your using Sony products.

Secondly, if your serious, then your gonna want a ported box.

VIERA
Unregistered guest
Thanks for every advice, the thing with sony was that it was my first try with audio so I kind of kept with it...Not really in for spending more cash in audio. I'm focusing right now in tunning up the exterior and motor of my car, so I'm sadly lol keeping my current audio system plus I had to keep it since I was being ut thanks for everything. I've already started with the planning for my ported box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us