13w7s in a grand cherokee

Username: Jinsus

Post Number: 2
I'm planning on two 13w7s in my 1998 5.9 grand cherokee. I have a few questions, though. I don't really want to buy them in the prowedge JL-made box, but would it be easier? I have no experience building my own boxes, but I want to get as much as I can out of the subs.. so I guess my question is will the box be suffiecient. Each sub will have the 1000/1 on them. also, how much dynomat extreme should i get to cover the whole jeep? square feet, about. and how many layers would you recommend for the two 13w7s.. Thanks.

Bin Laden
Unregistered guest
If you are spending all that money to pay for the JL Audio 13w7s and the JL Audio 1000/1 amps do yourself a favor and put them in a custom ported box. Don't buy the prowedge. As for the dynamat here's the thing about sound deadening. You never really know how much you need. It's a matter of trial and error. Even with multiple layers of dynamat extreme with that much power you won't be able to stop every vibration and rattle it's just almost impossible to cover and seal everything. I would start by just buying the Dynamat Original kit, top that with the Dynamat Extreme Kit, and then top that off with the Extremeliner from Dynamat that should cover your Jeep very well. I think anything more would be overkill but you can never have too much sound deadening. I hope this helps and enjoy your JL Audio subs they should sound AWESOME in your jeep. By the way I hope you plan on beefing up your Jeep's electrical system with those 2 JL Audio 1000/1 amps you are going to need a High Output Alternator and maybe an extra battery or two.

Post Number: 3
yeah, the factory alternator is 150 amp, but I figued that wouldn't be enough.. I didnt think I would need a new battery though.. oh well. I can live with not stopping every rattle, and wouldn't have enough money to stop it all if I could.. heh. so about how many amps should I go for a new alternator? oh and does anyone have a good refrence site maybe for a boxbuilding newby like me. JL specific would be really nice. thanks for the help.

Bin Laden
Unregistered guest
Well as for the alternator it just all depends. If you want to just stop your headlights from dimming and draining your factory battery just go to an automotive electrical shop in your area and see if they can upgrade your stock alternator to a higher output that would be MUCH CHEAPER than having to buy a new higher output alternator. Then just get you one of those red top 800 Optima batteries and take your stock battery out. That should be sufficient. Now if you plan on playing the system for hours on end and a lot with the engine off then you need at least one Optima Yellow top battery isolated from the factory battery and a higher output alternator like maybe no less than 200 amps. All an alternator does is recharge the extra battery or batteries so in reality unless you are going to be listening to your system with the engine off you don't really need an extra battery and a huge alternator. I don't know much about that stuff so probably be best to talk to your local automotive electrical shop they would know better than me and could give you the details on exactly what you need. I forewarn you it won't be cheap either route you go. For 2000 pure watts of power you are going to pay a hefty price. Really I don't see why you want that much power unless you are into competition you are not gonna be able to sit in that Jeep with the volume even half way up before your ears start ringing and you get a migrane headache it will be so damn loud.

Username: Robforton

SpangdahlemGermany

Post Number: 7
I can't help you with the box. I'm just getting the local shop to make a custom box for my 13w7s that are going in my 01XJ. I've got an Optima Yellow-Top battery in my rig. It's a solid battery, not particularly designed for audio but great for all around use. I'm adding a 200amp Mean Green alt to help with the juice but I'm staying with the solo battery for now. Gonna run 1/0 and 4 ga wire for everything or get Jeepers/Creepers wires. Might want to check your voltage regulator too, unless it's combined.

I've heard of a guy who mounted another alt in the stock A/C spot in his rig, ran the juice from the stock alt to the stock batt, ran the juice from the HO alt to two batts in the back. I like this set up since they don't interfere with each other.

As for the mat, I've got just one layer of extreme which is fine for the 10w0s but I'm hooking up some 1000/1s to the 13w7s too, I don't think it's gonna stop the vibes. I'm torn between trying the liner in combo with the mat or...some rhino in combo with the mat w/ custom carpet over top. Either way Bin is right, will never stop all the rattle.

Let me know what you do and how it works out. Rob.

Post Number: 4
well I won't be getting the 13w7s for probably close to 3 months, but I'd like to start contruction of the ported box sometime soon. any help would be appreciated. I'd like to search all over these forums for some kind of site that could help guide me, but between school, work, social life, etc.. it gets harder until the the weekends. anyways, like I said I have a jeep so plenty of room to work with for the box.

and I'm not really into competitions (tho I could see myself enterting in some), I guess the loud music is a kid/show off thing.. heh. I know im not going to be crusing around all day with the radio blasted, but sometimes I will.

so anyways, given it's a jeep, and a ported box, how many decibels you guys think I might be hitting? I plan to do a good job at dynomatting once I get the money. and maybe some new components (the jeep has a 10 speaker, 180 watt infitygold system.. im assuming the w7s will drown it out), how important would an EQ be (especially if i get new components eventually)? also I already have the alpine 7998 head unit. thanks again for the help, it's very appreciated.

Bin Laden
Unregistered guest
I would estimate in the range of 147 to 153 decibals. A sonic boom from a plane is 135 decibals so it will be pretty damn loud. Because the Jeep is an open cabin it will be a little louder than a car. You shouldn't need a EQ because the JLw7's sound quality is so good you don't need to fine tune the music with an EQ even with your components.

As for building the custom ported box. Check this link out from jlaudio's website it gives you some basics for building a ported box for the 13w7 so that may be of some help to you to get you started. I hope this helps.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/13W7_MAN.pdf

Post Number: 6
thanks you guys for the help. lastly, I was looking at a 205a wrangler alternator combined with a yellow top battery. should that power the two 1000/1s ? would I need to buy caps still? thx for all the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1719
that'll work if you're adding the 205A as a second alternator just for the audio system.
each of those JL amps will draw over 100A of current at full output.
capacitors won't do anything for you.

also, you'll need to use 1/0AWG cable for that setup for the amps, alternators, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us