Glasswolf what kicker subs

hgill05
Unregistered guest
I want some advive on what to go with:
2 Kicker Solo Baric's 12"
4 Kicker CVR 12"
2 Alpine Type R 12"
2 JL W6 12"
or anything else????????????????????????

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9925
the latter three are good choices.
what's the price range? a Type R and CVR are about the same price. Why two of one and four of the other?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 97
Hrmmm. I keep having this same argument with people on MySpace car audio groups. Am I right in saying that L5/L7/SoloX subs are unreliable due to stress points and issues with the spiders, all of which is stemmed from the fact of the irregular shaped sub? People on there are like "I've only gone through 4 L7's per season of SPL comps!" Now, IMO, wouldn't it be better to buy subs that are more reliable, for example the Stroker Pro, American Bass's series that hits 174dB, other high end companies that stick to the basics of round subs! But no, they insist Kicker is the god of audio, none is better in SPL.

incognito
Unregistered guest
i say its all oppion......if thats what they belive let them....spl can be found in many different subs.... but sq thats all oppion

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9940
SQ isn't all opinion. sorry. accuracy can be measured by cone deflection, group delay, etc.. as well as the subjective tonal quality you're referring to, but things liek distortion are measureable, just for the record.

In regards to any non-round sub you'll get cone flex and resulting coloration or distortion due to the uneven stress at high output as you mentioned. The square design also limits excursion, but with Kicker's subs, the surrounds are known to be a weak point prone to failure. The leads often separate or slap, and the cones do tend to fracture due to the high stress at corners at high excursion. All of these failures in addition the the Solo X being known to throw the voice coils as well, makes the subs highly unreliable.. and who wants to be swapping subs 4 times per season when they blow up, when you could have more durable subs with better SQ even at high output by going with a more traditional design like the DD 9500 or RE's MT.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 101
Thank you GlassWolf. That was just what I was wanting to hear. I swear, people read one of those little Kicker brochures that the local car stereo install places hand out, and automatically, it's the best sub ever. I just get sick of hearing about the Solo series being so godly, when, correct me if I'm wrong, but does it's shape not kinda defy nature/physics of a speaker?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us