Why does my amp keep cutting off? makes no sense

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 98
if you guys didnt read the post in the amps then here. well i have a jl audio 1000/1 amp powering 2 12s... but i have a problem... whenever i turn up the music louder the amp just cuts off... i went and checked everything (all the wiring) and then i checked the circuit breaker which connets the 4 gauge wiring to the battery, and i found that its popped, and i cannot reset it, until like 5 minutes later... it always does that... why is it popping? its 140 AMp circuit breaker... it makes no sense... is it because the amp is drawing too much power, and it pops?... if not then what?... new battery? new alternator (may i add i have stock alternator)... i just dont understand... help guys plz im getting nowhere

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 21
Yeah, it likely is that the amp is pulling too much power, for whatever reason.... Have you got your subs wired up right?

How many ohms of load are on the amp? If you accidentally had them wired up for a 1 ohm load or something, that could do it....

I've also heard that you should stay away from circuit breakers, and use fuses instead....

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 99
hmm i see... i wired it 2 ohms...(2ohm DVC)... i called jl and the guy said it might be

1- Bad Ground?
2- 4 Gauge Cable might be to long?
3- Change stock ground cable to 4 gauge?
4- Use 2 Gauge?

does that ring a bell?

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 100
glasswolf? help? hah ...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9887
well, you do ned larger power cable for that amp.. 4AWG is good for a peak of 125-150A but as length increases, current capacity decreases.
you would want 2AWG of 1/0
check the ground too.. should be to bare sanded chassis metal directly, and keep it short.

you may be drawing too much current for that breaker too, and the amp's gain may too high causing the amp to clip. hard to say.

when you upgrade the power wire, do the "big 3" upgrade too just to be sure.. battery to chassis ground, engine to chassis, and alternator to battery pos.
that might help. again, hard to pinpoint so eliminate each thing till ya find the problem.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 101
hmmm... yea that jl guy suggested me changing stock cable grouns from battery and stuff... i shall do that in the near future... i hope that will fix my problem... thanks alot guys for your help...

glasswolf... you dont think its the amp do you?... cuz i asked this car audio guy nearby, and he said hes only seen that happen once where the amp was damaged and thats why the breaker popped... ionno

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9923
could be an internal short.. it sounds like its going into thermal protction and that's usually caused by a bad speaker or a bad amp if its not a wiring issue
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us