Car Audio at home, 3 amps seems to be ok for me?

Username: Crazyfrog49

Post Number: 1
Ive recently got a car amp from a friend for free, but unfortunatly dont have a car! i found this old 3 amp 13.8v volt power supply and it seems to power the amp up ok, and it actually powers it quite loud, probably half volume. Im running a 10" sub (150w) and 2 mission 760s (bookshelf style). Its got a 30 amp fuse and 4 channels of 120w rms and 1 channel of 300w rms according to the specs(i dont believe that)

its a Longmill Prophet XIV amp

and what i wanna know, is surely i could buy just a 10amp workbench supply to use all its volume? That would save me modifying a pc PSU....

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9809
5 channel amp
120 x 4 (class AB)
300 x 1 (class D)
that's 90A of current at full output.
not 10A.
and don't use a PC power supply. that's a great way to start a house fire. They aren't made for sustained high current applications, and you need a high current, regulated switching AC to DC power supply if you want to run that amp at high current, high volume.
You need a 90-100A supply. Plan to spend around $500-800+

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9810
PS, every time you double the audible volume (+10dB) you're using ten TIMES the power from the amplifier.

Post Number: 2
Surely the fuses would blow (30 amp) if i got a 90 amp supply?

It just seems strange that 3 amps seems to be quite adequate and i only really want the extra power so it doesnt clip a lot when loud (its in my bedroom so im not gonna be playing it full blast)

does anyone know the official specs on this amp?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 945
If you want to power a sub in your house....buy a home audio amp. look on partsexpress.com, you can get 150wrms amps there very reasonable.

like this one:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-792

its only bout $100 and will give you ~150wrms @4ohms. beats the h3ll out of buying a $500 power supply.

Post Number: 3
Im in the UK btw...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9844
never heard of that amp company but you guys have a lot of low end names we don't have here, so its not surprising.

if the amp clips on an AC to DC power supply, the PS's circuit breaker will blow as opposed to voltage rails sagging.

how many amplifiers are we discussing here, and how many fuses of what size or rating does each amplifier have?

current draw can't excede fuse ratings for indefinite periods, but it can for limited periods depending on % of overdraw

Username: Wesley_d

Peabody, Ma United States

Post Number: 1
i have a 96 taurus that i have installed a alpine 9847 cdplayer in and seems to be working fine. i have a 4 channel amp that i want to connect. where would i tap into the speakers?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9901
good for you. start your own thread.

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 179
haha ya glass just told you to S-T-F-U

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 24
I've seen a few posts of people wanting to run car audio gear in the house... not a bad idea if you don't have a car you can install it in.. why have it sit in a closet right?

Problem is, those inverters are so expensive... so I'm envisioning: A trip to the auto wreckers... pick up a 12v battery.. a 90 amp alternator.

Then all you need is either a team of hampsters with wheels to run the alternator.. or possibly an exercise bike hooked up to the alternator.

Good to go!

Post Number: 4
its not a particularly low end amp, just kinda old.
Longmill is a british company anyway...

its only 1 amplifier with 2x 30 amp fuses, the power supply im using is a Bremi and it seems to handle everything, it just gets very hot and smells bad...no coolant fans here! lol

what about linking power supplies in paralell? is there problems with that?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9930
yes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us