Need help on finding a power source for amp

Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 4
i have a 2000 watt car amp volvenhag...im tyring to hook it up in my room until i get a car ... is there an alternate power source to power the amp... i tried taken a 12v output dc the ones u plug in the wall and cutin the end off n wiring it but it dont work... any help? maybe im wiring it wrong

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9796
you need a high current regulated switching AC to DC power supply.
for 2Kw RMS, that'd be about 200A of current.
That supply will cost ya about $800+

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 5
wowwwwww.... lol hmm mite have to pass... but wouldnt a 12v+dc adapter work from radioshack? cut of the end and wire it to the 12v+amp screw ? then plug in the wall

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 88
Well that Volfenhag amp he's speaking of is 2000W max for one. Two, it's 300-400W RMS depending on wiring configs. And three, just wait til you get your damn car.

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 6
lol i guess im going to have to wait for car... but wat u mean its 2000w max for one and its 300-400 RMS wats rms mean... sorry just got into this yesterday

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 87
the reason you can't plug it into your wall is because it's a different kind of current. coming from your house is alternating current and your vehicle gives you direct current. your amp is built to run off direct current.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9811
those little AC to DC adapters from radio shack are made to deliver about 1A of current at most.
Your amplifier at 400 watts RMS (continuous, not MAX which is a momentary peak rating, and usually ficticious at that) will draw over 40A of current.

You can buy a 40A continuous power supply by Pyramid on eBay for cheaper though.. about $400.

That Volfenfag amp is very low quality though.. just be aware you get what you pay for with those $50 amplifiers.

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 7
so how many watts wuld a volvenhag 2000w amp put out cuz i kno its not gona put out a full 2000

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9847
someone alreay said, 300 to 400 RMS

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 8
glass?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9850
give a make and model of the amp and I can look up specifics.. or you could just as easily using google

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 9
its a volvenhag zx7180 2000 watt amp

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9869
here ya go
$159.99
640 Watts RMS Power @ 2 Ohms
440 Watts RMS Power @ 4 Ohms
2ohm stable
Dual Power Meters
Tri-mode capable
Fan cooling system
Soft Delayd Remote Turn On
Variable bass boost:0-18dB
Variable bass frequency:30Hz-100Hz
Channel seperation:>60dB
Signal to noise ratio:97dB
THD 0.03%
Frequency response:20Hz-20KHz
HPF:50Hz-1KHz
LPF:30Hz-250Hz
Adjustable sensitivity range:0.1V-1V
Input impedance:Low level(10K ohms), High level(100 ohms)
Dimension(WxHxL)mm:262x59x429

it puts out 640 watts RMS at 2 ohms. It's class A/B.
If you want an amp just for subs, I'd suggest you look at a class D amplifier instead.. it'll run much cooler, be smaller, and draw substantially less current to produce the same power. A class AB amp is only about 50-60% efficient, whereas a class D amp is more like 80+% efficient.
Class D amps are generally cheaper per watt as well.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9870
by the way if these power ratings:
640 Watts RMS Power @2 Ohms
440 Watts RMS Power @4 Ohms
are combined ratings, which they appear to be, the amp really puts out:

320 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms
and
220 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms
and
about 600 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged.
The amp will only be 4 ohm stable when bridged.

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 10
well i searched and found this.... sounds like i have a good amp to me??
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1818

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 11
hmm... so wat else would this amp be used for, wat is class ab used for then?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9872
I could find you plenty of sites that say Pyramid, Legacy, BOSS Audio, and Rockwood amplifiers are the highest quality, best amplifiers you can get.. especially if you buy one from the site advertising it.
Welcome to sales hype, and why you need to be able to tell a quality product from snake oil.
You can't build a good quality class AB amp that puts out over 600 watts RMS for $159.
I own three class AB amps that put out 250 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, and each one retailed for $1,299 new.

Now if you think it's a fantastic amp, that's great. stick with it and I hope it serves you well. I'm just trying o impart some of what I've learned first hand as a professional installer and electrical engineer over the last 15 years in the field.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 12
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2293

here is the 15s i got with the amp... i bought the amp and subs together(subs are in box already ... with the wires n stuff for 375$ ....so did i get a deal or did i get ripped?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9876
if it makes ya happy and it delivers what you expected, then nope, you didn't get ripped off.
Nobody can really make that determination but you though.

Heck some people would think I got ripped off just for having such expensive amps no matter how good they are, if they can't justify spending that kind of money for a radio in a car, ya know?

value is always in the eye of the behonder which was why I said I hope you enjoy the amp and it serves you well.
As long as it holds up and does what you want, it's a good value.

I'm just saying if you want to run an amp for subs from a car, in a house on a power supply, go with a class D amp instead.
less current draw per watt. much more efficient. easier on teh power supply.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 13
i dont think its a fantastic amp at all, infact i dont even know what it does how it sounds how well it runs because ive never used it...and im not doubting you at all, just want to know if i got what i payed for... got the amp and speakers togheter speakers were in a box and all wired with rockford

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9881
yeah for the price it's probably not a bad deal.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 14
kk i understand why u said go with d now... i dont think i mentioned that in the n ear future i am going to use the subs and amp in a car... just in home temporarly so saying that...when both them are used in a car should i stay with the ab type amp? or still d is best

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 15
wuld something like this power the amp in my home TEMPORARLY http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1757

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9883
I have one of those in my basement. it'd power you at very low volumes. as soon as you turn it up to listening levels with that amp, you'd pop the ckt breaker on the power supply.

you need the pyramid supply that's rated for at least 3o to 40 amperes continuous

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 16
aright so im looking at this minumum
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1761
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us