RE MT better sq than L7?

Bronze Member
Username: Caddycad

Post Number: 26
I have 2 15" L7's right now, I know alot of you hate them but I do actually like them because I'm an SPL freak.. My question is would (2) 15" MT's be louder than my (2) 15" L7's and will the MT's produce better SQ than the L7's?

I figured since they were RE they might get Louder and also sound better at the same time?

I am currently powering my 15" L7's with a a180001dt 1800rms Audiobahn Class D amp. So each L7's has 900rms.. If I switched over the the MT's would (2) of these amps (1800rms to each MT) be sufficient? and how would I get an MT down to 1ohm on each amp since they have odd voice coil ohms..

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2818
Yes, 2 MT's will get louder than 2 L7's, and should sound a little better.
1800 watts rms to each MT will work.
As far as wiring, I think you can special order the MT, or x.x.x line with different voice coil configurations to match you're amp.

incognito
Unregistered guest
i have a qustion ? how much db gain will he get my the mt vs the kicker? are we talking about 3 +db or what?

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 830
your looking at around a 6db gain b/c you are doubling the power to 2 subs.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 831
not only 2 subs, but 2 MT's:-)

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2821
Yup... atleast 5 DB's because of the power... then factor in the better build/quality of the RE's. It should be noticeably louder to say the least.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4171
I have RE MT 15" in custom box I designed (2 days to build). It is almost 2x louder than my 18" sub. With one sub, you can just about make the car shake. If you had 2 of them, I am sure things will start breaking off the car.
I wouldn't recommend 2, 1 is loud enough to be heard. Now if you had a junk car that you wouldn't mind seeing destroyed, then get 2.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2835
Thats awsome!
Isaac, do you know how minny DB's you're MT hits?

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 835
the L7 is a very linear sub. while i'm not a fan of its particular reproduction, i'm certain the MT will not match up nearly as well in sq. it's specifically an spl sub. the w7 is sql.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4175
I just finished the box and install this weekend so I do not know the db's. However, it is quite loud. I cranked it up before it was in the trunk, and the bass can be heard a block away.
Mikechec9, you might want to try out a MT before you pass judgement. RE will tell you MT is for SPL only, but in a right enclosure, it will do wonders.
5 cu ft with lots of port space, and it'll hit 30Hz or lower bass notes. Try that with L7.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2850
W7? You mean L7?
I think the L7 is just an spl sub as well?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2851
Oh, sorry Isaac, posted be for I relised you posted.
Do you plan on getting it tested, and what do you think it should hit?
135, 140?
Just wondering.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4176
Yea. MT is like L7 but it can actually produce low bass when given enough cu ft and ports.
Excellent sub for those that want SPL and some SQ.
X.X.X. is still a better sub when it comes to SQ.
After all, look at MT's power numbers, 2500w rms - 5000w rms vs 1600w rms for triple X.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2852
Lol yeah, even the x.x.x's 1600 watts sounds whimpy. compared to the MT.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 838
sq implies musicality. and although i havn't heard one personally, the t/s suggest that the sub is not sq oriented. at all. and 5ft^3 is certainly not going to help it along those lines. i'm not implying that it doesn't knock well and sound good doing it. i'm sure it does. but it's not a musical sub.
however, it's a moot point. i'm working too hard and reading too little. i have no idea why i thought we were comparing the mt to the w7 and not the l7, lol. my bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
thanks for the reply's.. I put my L7's in a 4cu ft box and it hit the 30hz test note with INCREDIBLE force but I'm looking for more spl and with more notes than just 30hz..

Is there a sub that will get louder with my 1800rms? Since the MT wants 2500rms+ I thought about 2 15" SX's but I dont think they can handle 1800rms each, especially the way I abuse my speakers and ears for that matter..

Silver Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 164
1600 watts sound wimpy compared to a mt but you also have to factor in that all of re's subs are tested free air for 3 hours to get their rms. So they have quite a bit of room to work with.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2857
True, Jeff, 1800 watts rms is fine for an MT. They actually work with 1500 watts, to 3000 watts rms... and burps... well... its up there.:-)
Another sub that matches 1800 watts better is the TRF2212 sub, but you're not going to get much sq from it either. Still a really nice sub.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9801
totally different motor topologies too. the XXX is totally aimed at SQ with a high Xmax. It uses XBL^2 which uses staked, small gaps to maintain linearity at high excursion so even at high output, the sub sounds extremely accurate.. the drawback is that it isn't very efficient and needs a lot of power to drive the sub. I love my XXX subs, but they aren't designed for SPL.
The MT is designed for nothing but SPL and comes in quad coil versions for powering with up to 4 amplifiers to give it enough power. It's a beast.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
So could I put 1800rms to each 15" SX without blowing them? I listen to screwed and chopped music with alot of Low Continuous bass notes.. very stressful on a sub.. or would I be better off with the MT's..

what cu ft am I looking at for the SX vs the MT

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
if u got a truck i would personally pay the 30$ more for an 18" not the fact its a lil louder just the braggin rights
personally im straight thats to much bass for me
my friend got 2 L7 12" and when i got outa the car i felt sick

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
wow im srry but u ppl are crazy you ppl wit 2000 rms and stuff just put throw it up by lil jon
youll see the insanity you ppl are pushing in your cars

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 932
2000wrms isnt all that loud :-)

unless you want it to be

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
well maybe u cant tell because ur ears are all worn out but since your got 5 senses
Hearing: u cant hear cause ur already def
Sight: if u see ur friend passed out next to u
Feeling: if you feel like your having a cesar
Smell: if you cant smell your own collone
Taste: if u can taste the fukin bass ....
then u got to much
and thats when those articles about bass being a health concern becomes true

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 934
I'm just joking...a true 2000wrms system w/ good sub/box combos are REALLY loud. My lil 15" RE SX/jbl bp1200.1 combo is plenty for me.

lol...even 500wrms set-ups can get really loud. you just have to know that your doing.

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
lol i know u were i was just messin around

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I have a 96 impala, I'm considering (4) 15" SX's will 900rms be enough for each 15?

also how big does the ported box have to be?

Would 4 15" SX's with 900rms each be louder than (2) 15" MT's with 1800rms each?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I would get 3 15" SX's If I could put 1800rms to each of them.. whats their top RMS rating 1000rms?

I'm just fearing that 2 15" SX's wont be loud enough for me.. SQ isnt all that important to me, hence the 15 L7's.. looking to go alot louder..

I'm in the middle of the road on this one..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4183
If you want SPL, get MT. 2 15" MTs will almost guarantee some shattering in your car, be it windows/mirrors or bolts becoming loose. RE tech support will tell you that those MTs can handle 2500w rms of everyday use.
You will go deaf before those subs explode.
MTs in 5 cu ft of space and lot of port area can deliver SQ. I've done it in my car.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9829
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/speakerpwr.html

read that on power handling please.

as for 2Kw and being deaf, I'm using a system with a peak continuous output of 2500+ watts RMS with two XXX 12" subs, and while it can hit 151dB, that doesn't mean I play it that loudly. Most of the power is there for the two subs, and for head room for the components. The system is set up strictly for my personal enjoyment and for SQ/transparency. Not for SPL.

As for hearing Lil Jon, I'd really rather not. I'd prefer to listen to palettable music that doesn't give me teh urge to vomit uncontrollably.
I have nothing against hip hop or rap, which would be obvious if you saw the CDs in my collection by groups like Public Enemy , and the Fugees but what I can't stand are talentless hacks who get massive popularity thanks to payola and MTV pushing them on TV and radio stations instead of being known for any musical skill whatsoever.
Lil Jon, Diddy, Fifty Cent, and Nelly fall into this class, just to name a few.

If ya want pure SPL and have the room, even go a step further and get two MT18 subs, port those with slot vents, or aero ports, and stick a pair of Orion 2500D amplifiers on each sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4189
GlassWolf, you sound like someone who needs to produce their own music.
I was close bidding on eBay before on a software, but some azz wipe stole the bid at the last minute. I wanted to produce some nice songs with ultra low bass.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 844
yeah. i was about to do the same thing to glass when he got his dynaudios off of ebay. when i found out who i was about to knabb, i decided to go with the DLS 6.3 on a "buy it now" option instead.
funny. had it not been him bidding, i'd have a set of 360's right now instead of 6.3's.

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 368
Hey you guys are all talkin bout some major systems..... 3500+ watts rms... would you guys be gettin another alternator or extra batteries or what?? Im just wondering cuz I want to upgrade my system to like 3 or 4 SX's or sumthin properly powered.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4202
My system already has HO alternator. 2nd battery is not required unless you plan on listening with engine off. You will need battery isolator with 2 or more batteries.
RE MT update:
If you're looking for "good" SQ and excellent SPL, MT is the product to get. If you want excellent SQ and good SPL, then so far X.X.X will do great.
I never thought MT could produce 20Hz notes. It doesn't make any sense for a SPL sub. Most I've seen can't get past 50Hz without distorting.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 372
Isaac, you seemed quite impressed with your MT, thats great.
Im thinking about purchasing 2 15" MT's with 2000 watts ish to each, or 3 or 4 SX's with about 1000 ish watts to each.... but i cant make up my mind lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4207
Richard, if you have the space, get 2 15" MTs and give each sub around 5 cu ft with plenty of port area. It will be one of the loudest sub you'll ever hear. Not only do you get SPL, but SQ as well. It actually can produce 20Hz bass.
The sub and the box I designed weighs almost 120lbs.
The key to getting SQ is the port. It needs lots of area.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 373
ok ill do some measuring later today, do you have any amp reccomendations for 1800-2000 watts rms ish for like 500-$700 for each amp?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3571
"Public Enemy, and the Fugees"

Nice, haha. You definitely don't hear those in kid's systems now a days.

I don't really listen to lotsa rap in my car anyways, if I want some good bass I'll listen to some Korn. Other than that I usually have a Pantera or Metallica cd in my deck.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9918
we used to use Pantera in the shop back in the early 90s to scare the old people out of the showroom when we got tired of replacing the gooey old cassette decks in the oldsmobiles.. hehe
I have everything from Mozart and Liszt to PE and Run DMC, to Floyd, to Slipknot.. it really depends on my mood.. I just like music that shows some thought and originality as opposed to these bands where the whole album sounds the same, like it came from a cookie cutter.

Richard, read this page about charging systems.. its a fair primer on upgrades:
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

my own car has a high output alternator, a regulator, and three batteries, along with filtering capacitors and heavy gauge power cable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
[quote]Isaac, you seemed quite impressed with your MT, thats great.
Im thinking about purchasing 2 15" MT's with 2000 watts ish to each, or 3 or 4 SX's with about 1000 ish watts to each.... but i cant make up my mind lol.[/quote]

I'm having the same problem, I cant decide whether do 2 15" MT's with 1800rms x2 or 4 15" SX's with 900rms x4

Does anyone know which would be louder? I know the MT's are monsters, but would the 4 15" SX's beat the 2 15" MT's?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9941
are you thinking of purely SPL event competitions? is this a daily driver too?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4210
I'm using mine as everyday use. However, I don't think I will be able to listen all the time. Unlike my 18" sub, this one produces low bass with extra thump. My ears somehow is feeling it more than before. I might alternate and use it every other day.
I never noticed this before, but with MT, my front hood viberates too. That is rare.
Unless you plan on going deaf, don't get 2. One is plenty loud enough.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Well its an every day driver, but I'de like to be able to go to a competition every now and then also.

lol @ your hood vibrating isaac, what kind of car?

I figure the MT's should have more SQ than my L7's correct? so either way I cant lose. Just wondering what would get me more SPL 4 SX's or 2 MT's, I know of SX's will give me better SQ but I'm not sure if I have enough room to port all 4..

I'm lucky if I can turn my whole trunk into a box and squeeze the 5cu ft for the MT's..

what do you think? also whats up with these pathenon speakers I'm hearing about with the crazy excursion..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4212
I have Acura.
Unless you have tons of trunk space, going with MT will be a better choice.
It's hard trying to explain just how loud MT is with words. You have to listen to one for yourself. So far, it's at least 2x louder than regular subs.
I'm guessing, with a properly designed box, MT will sound louder and pound harder than SX. I'm not into SPL. I only got MT cause RE assured me that it can and will produce SQ when given enough power and box space.
So far, with one sub, it's sounding louder and better than people with 2 or more subs.
My box is tuned to 35Hz.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 374
I want to do the same thing as you jeff, use it as a daily driver, and enter competitions every now and then. I'm leaning towards the 2 MT's becuase space is sort of an issue.

Glasswolf, thanks for that site, I read most of it but it said upgrade your alternator last... I always thought it was better to upgrade the alt before addaing capacitator(s) and additional batteries.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Isaac how much power are you running your MT with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4233
800w - 1200w rms. I can't give it any more power without destroying my car.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 119
I just put my 30" Audiobahn in my 60 cu. ft. box, and dang, it hits -30Hz, no questions asked. It's heard from Atlantis they say...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us