Ultimate SQ amp

scb
Unregistered guest
Which would you choose?

I am looking for the ultimate SQ amp and money is not a problem.

I need 900-1200 rms x 1 @ 4 ohms.

Or 2 amps 450-600 rms x 1 @ 2 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4167
Zapco C2K 6.0 or C2K 9.0 if you plan on getting more powerful subs in the future.

scb
Unregistered guest
Isaac,

If I was to bench test the C2K 6.0 @ 4 ohms bridged, would I see 900 wrms or would I get more/less?

In other words, as far as you know, are they under/over rated?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3552
Way underrated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4170
You get C2K 6.0, and I think the last thing on your mind is power.
That amp will give you excellent SQ and much more.

scb
Unregistered guest
"You get C2K 6.0, and I think the last thing on your mind is power."

What do you mean?

Silver Member
Username: Voodoochilde

Greencastle, Indiana

Post Number: 163
I think he means you don't have to worry about not getting enough power. zapco is one of the best makers of amps and all of their stuff is way underrated.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 89
Haha, buy a Pioneer/Sony amp, you'll never have to worry about your subs again...at least worry about them working...

scb
Unregistered guest
"zapco is one of the best makers of amps"

They are "one of the best"...OK, who else is on par with them and who is potentially better than them?

A guy at a Car Toy's store told me that JL Audio is hands down better than Zapco. Not that I have heard or dealt with them both as to have a side by side comparison of the two, but something tells me that Zapco is the better one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4180
Tell the Car Toy's guy to prove it. Put his money where is mouth is.
I bet he'll make more margin on JL amp, cause after all, JL products are over priced.
In Canada, JL 12W7 costs $1200. That's right. One of the biggest rip offs. On top of that, we have 15% tax. So you do the math, $1200 + 15%.
Don't get me wrong, JL is a great product, but for my money, I'd rather invest in Zapco.

scb
Unregistered guest
When I was taking to that guy at Car Toy's, he said JL makes the best amps out there. Then I said "better than Zapco, better than Mcintosh" and he said "deffinetly". I then "I don't know about that". Then he said "look, I am not going to argue with you. I have had 2 Zapco amps fail on me. I have heard McIntosh amps, and listening to one of those is like waiting for something to happen. They are musical, but they don't get loud at all. JL gives you the best of both worlds. They have the SQ of a McIntosh and they will get loud like none other".

I did not argue back, but I just thought to myself...yeah right.

Not that JL is crap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4182
If you don't want to argue with the guy, then just ask him to make a list of "facts" for you as to what makes JL the best amp out there.
I bet he can't list anything besides "cause I say so" statements.
His claim is as foolish as someone saying they're the strongest person in the world.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9806
this is what you get by asking a SALES PERSON what product is the best.
Guess what? He's going to tell you it's something HE can sell you!

McIntosh
Sinfoni
Brax
Zapco
Butler
US Amps

they all make excellent amplifiers, but look at the Competition series C2K amplifier specs and features on www.zapco.com and look at the at-the-dash monitoring and control offered with these amplifiers. You can actually adjust the peak output of the amplifier to match your speakers. Do that on a JL amp? Nope. JL makes good mass produced products, but nowhere on the level of McIntosh or Zapco.

As for power ratings, go by the CEA2006 specs, and forget using this company published RMS rating "underrated?" crap.
CEA2k6 uses specific guidelines for power ratings, so they are all accurate and dead on. No approximations or sneaky ways of boosting power ratings.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9807
and if that guy has only ever seen 2 zapco amplifiers fail, I'd like to point out there is a guy posting in this section right NOW who's blown THREE 1000/1 JL amps in the course of about 2 months. Great average there!

Zapco used to build afew amps that had some problems, over 5 years ago (They've been around much, much longer) and have long since corrected those issues, even commenting on this in articles on their website.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4618
If you simply cracked the internals of a Zapco amplifier and saw the craftsmanship, or even saw a parts list of the type of components they use and the tolerances they are built to, you'll understand Zapcos superiority over nearly anything in the market. I've used JL amps for years now, and while they are great amplifiers and I'm very fond of mine, I'll quickly admit that I'd trade it for a C2K in a heartbeat.

scb
Unregistered guest
GlassWolf,

I did not ask this sales guy what the best available product is, I just asked what brands he had and he then decided to offer his opinion...whether that is really his opinion or if he was trying to make a sale, I don't know.

CEA2006 specs...I am not exactly sure what that is.

I take it that McIntosh, Brax, Sinfoni, US Amps, Zapco and Butler are the top six amps as far as you are concerned. I thought you would have placed Orion in there somewhere.

Where does Arc Audio fit in?

I can get an Arc Audio XXK 2500 for $820 or a Zapco C2K 6.0X for $1299. Is there a big difference in quality / reliability between the 2...enough to justify a $480 price difference. If so, I don't mind paying it. But, I don't want to pay that much extra for the name.

I am choosing between thoso 2 because that is what is available locally. If you know of a way that I could get the other names you mentioned, let me know. I am intersted.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 293
Isaac don't complain about 15%, from what I understand you have free health. hehehe must be nice =P
but yes, a ripoff indeed

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9837
I named a few good currently made amp companies I think are some of the best.
Arc audio makes pretty good amplifiers as well.
Orion, RF, and PPI made their best products wher all the companies had or were spawned from the same group of engineers, and all three were independant companies in the 1980s and early 1990s.
After that, they went to middle of the road, solid products, but nothing on par with the all MilSpec products offered in days passed.

CEA2006 much like DOMAX is a standardized way of testing products from different companies to get fair comparisons.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9838
DUMAX that is

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 333
Er - could DIAMOND & MMATS Amps make the cut & can go on this best of the best amp lists ?

Or are they just a tad under this holy grail ?

scb
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf,

The reason I said that I thought Orion would have been on your list of "The Best" is because you use them in all of your systems...at least the ones that are on wickedcases.

Would you choose Zapco over Arc Audio?

Rovin,

You sure do like to support Mmats.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 339
HA ha - I'm not a shareholder of their company -lol but i know alot of ppl who use em & stand by it so thats Y i yack about it so often & also ask others about it , 99% of them never even heard of the name .

Hell , just b4 i saw your thread i just rec another of their amps to a guy in another thread who wants power to push 2 L7s @ 1/2 ohm .....

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4631
"The reason I said that I thought Orion would have been on your list of "The Best" is because you use them in all of your systems...at least the ones that are on wickedcases."

He's using the 1st generation Orion SX and XTR amps, those were the days when Orion was top of the hill, they are on par with Zapco, McIntosh, and others listed above.

Me personally, I'd take Zapco over Arc, especially to use their Symbilink processors, preamps, EQs, and whatnot.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9856
^^ what Jon said.

I'm also using all first gen Orion amps due to their DIN signal path and processing because I use their pre-amp and crossover units as well.. the theme of my current car was nostalgia.. being an older car and all anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 148
Hey Jon and Glass, can you check out my post about "Help with amp decisions"? Thanks, I really need some expert advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Chary

Dominicab Republic, Santo Domingo

Post Number: 60
Jon ad Glass help me with my post, help buying amp please?? Plese, HelpMe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us